NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New observing chair required..

emadmoussa

I've been using an adjustable stool for months now and it worked just fine. With the 300P when pointing the scope 80-deg upwards I can't reach the eyepiece sitting - the chair at its highest setting is still too low. And when I'm standing the eyepiece is below my eyes level. So yeah, I'm considering an ironing chair or something similar...are they any good?

Thinking about this one

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long will it take to adjust it, are the fiddly screw involved, cold hands means, dropped screws ect....looks like a plastic knob screws onto a bar......that could be modified to somelike the latch they use to hold the sides and tailgate of truck in place, i'm sure there be on sale some place. not sure what they would be called...

How long will it take to adjust it, are the fiddly screw involved, cold hands means, dropped screws ect....looks like a plastic knob screws onto a bar......that could be modified to somelike the latch they use to hold the sides and tailgate of truck in place, i'm sure there be on sale some place. not sure what they would be called...

This is a main concern...yes.

I have a keyboard(music) stand of a similar design - not very stable, the quality of the weilding was poor and not very strong.

a modified four legged chair design may be stronger and more stable.

Something like this you mean?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Duty-Adjustable-Stool-Throne/dp/B000RZD2ZS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_37#productDetails

Hi Emad,

Check out . . . . .  telescope_observing _chair . . . . . in " Yahoo Groups ".

An Ironing board chair works well for me. I picked up both of ours for under £5 each at charity shops.  I also like a drummers throne, as I prefer to set up our scopes as low as possible, and adjust the tristands accordingly.

I haven't seen one, but the "Starbound" chair is highly rated. For a fixed height pier, something like a cats perch type would be easier to use. There are some good ideas for these on the site I mentioned, many are DIY.

These are several chairs we use.

post-21902-0-85000800-1390997287_thumb.j

post-21902-0-80151000-1390997808_thumb.j

I use that style of ironing stool. I have mine set about 3-4" higher than a regular garden chair and from there, I don't need to adjust it at all. It is high enough to reach the EP at zenith and for objects low down I just perch on the front of the seat and lean forwards resting my elbows on my knees.

Best £3 I ever spent on astronomy :D (Car boot sale purchase :))

I use this

www.buyastrostuff.com

Just click on metal astro chair

Lightweight, compact (so portable), quick and easy to adjust (no bolts) with one hand. Very comfy and with footrest. I have used mine for nearly five years, needs to be shipped from USA though.

I have been using an ironing stool for a while but found it fiddly in the dark and cold.

I just bought a Mey Chair which is excellent, yes a bit costly at just over £100 but I thought it would make a difference that was worth paying for.

It's well engineered and has a range of 40-88cms once you've removed the stoppers on the legs.

And the legs are backward pointing so do not foul the tripod.

The seat has a tilt adjustment and also swivels from side to side with an auto-centering mechanism.

They were originally made for musicians on stage but are perfect for Astro.

And probably ironing as well.

Imad,

I have one of these from amazon, a tad fiddly if you have to keep adjusting

It might be possible the existing seat support bolt with some sort of bolt and split pin setup to make adjusting height easier.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

I have been using an ironing stool for a while but found it fiddly in the dark and cold.

I just bought a Mey Chair which is excellent, yes a bit costly at just over £100 but I thought it would make a difference that was worth paying for.

It's well engineered and has a range of 40-88cms once you've removed the stoppers on the legs.

And the legs are backward pointing so do not foul the tripod.

The seat has a tilt adjustment and also swivels from side to side with an auto-centering mechanism.

They were originally made for musicians on stage but are perfect for Astro.

And probably ironing as well.

this is good to hear. I ordered one two days ago :-)

This is the one I was looking at. On scale from 1 to 10, how fiddly?

5/10.  It depends on how often you want to adjust it.

1 nut / bolt each side. Easy to do just takes a minute or 2. (They are Imad proof )

if you look at objects for a long time or at objects a similar distance from the horizon,  no probs at all

I use that style of ironing stool. I have mine set about 3-4" higher than a regular garden chair and from there, I don't need to adjust it at all. It is high enough to reach the EP at zenith and for objects low down I just perch on the front of the seat and lean forwards resting my elbows on my knees.

Best £3 I ever spent on astronomy :D (Car boot sale purchase :))

I ordered that one too it is sitting in a box due to rain it has not even been unpacked.  A few commented in the product reviews it is useful as an astro chair instead of what it is intended for.

http://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/leifheit-multiseat-niveau-ironing-chair/product/

Emad,

This is the same chair that I use - I wouldn't be without it!!

Adjusting simply involves loosening and removing the "nut" on one side, sliding out the bolt - resetting the height and sliding the bolt back in again - and, of course, replacing the first "nut".

After a while it can be done by touch alone. It may be made easier if one of the nuts was replaced with a wing nut - and possibly a few spares would be handly - just in case!!

Fiddley rating 7/10 where 10 is "not at all fiddley"!!

Folds away neatly and if required you can use it when ironing!! :laugh:

Archived