Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Setting up wires and control

jaspalchadha

Hi all

So I am trying to figure out an alternative

Currently I have a a powered USB ( used by autoguider, ccd, dew heater and feather touch miro focuser )

The end of the USB hub connects to a 15 or 20 meter USB active repeater which then plugs into the PC

I might be stupid in saying are there alternatives

I'll be getting a news obs made from uk home observatory .. I've gone 14 x 8 with a warm room of 5 x 8

So I won't be using long cables

Any suggestions chaps ?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do pretty much the same those above: remote control of laptop in observatory via TightVNC server on the laptop & either TightVNC client on the PC in the house or AndroidVNC client on the phone.  The LAN connection is provided by a pair of PowerLine adapters.

Apart from shorter USB cable ?

Not quite sure what you want. Assuming the PC will be in the warm room, all you need is a shorter USB cable isn't it? One that is long enough to get from the USB hub, which will probably be mounted on the scope/mount/pier, to the PC.

What is the problem you want to overcome?

Take this correctly... Warm rooms are for cissies ;) You do not need it. Put a PC in the observatory, remote control it and sit in the comfort of your warm home, next to your spouse, glass of wine in your hand and a quick glance at the laptop screen every once in a while.

/per

Take this correctly... Warm rooms are for cissies ;) You do not need it. Put a PC in the observatory, remote control it and sit in the comfort of your warm home, next to your spouse, glass of wine in your hand and a quick glance at the laptop screen every once in a while.

/per

or  should that be "remote control it and sit in the comfort of your warm home, next to the laptop, glass of wine in your hand and a quick glance at the your spouse once in a while" :)

Problem with that is you always get interrupted by wife and kids...  Having a warm room gives you the best of both world.  You can lock yourself away, concentrate on the astronomy, play your own music, watch re-runs of the sky at night on iplayer (or your fav [removed word] film if that way inclined :) ) without anyone pestering you.  If the warm room is done correctly and well insulated there is hardly any need to heat it, so it's usable in the winter as well as the summer months.  If it gets that cold then yes you can remote into the observatory PC and control the observatory from your PC in the lounge... but then often you have no idea what position the scope is in or if any cables are fouling on things...

I completely agree with Malcom. (though I do wonder what the removed word was :D )

You never know here. For me it was an innocent "Chablis" that triggered it. Champagne was OK, but not Chablis. They changed it and now it passes, so good moderators :)

Given my hunch here, I'm not sure that the removed word in Malcom's post should be unremoved...

/per

Well I'm going to have an underwater PC in my outdoor hot tub/jacuzzi under the stars and I know it's going to work because Per's going to sort it out for me...

Olly

PS And when it comes to removed words an outdoor hot tub under the stars is the place to be!!! :cool:

/per

I agree Per.  I don't get why you'd want a warm room personally, not that I am an expert.  It's quite "warm" in my house where I can do a similar function and control the whole shebang whilst watching Eastenders ;)  (I don't, honest...).

I am about to embark on an obsy project and a warm room is out of the question.  

We all think and feel differently though so no offence.

Steve

Well I'm going to have an underwater PC in my outdoor hot tub/jacuzzi under the stars and I know it's going to work because Per's going to sort it out for me...

Olly

PS And when it comes to removed words an outdoor hot tub under the stars is the place to be!!! :cool:

I could do that...

If you have a USB2 hub stuck onto the mount is it OK for everything at the scope to connect to the hub and then run down one USB cable to the obsy PC?  I really would like to eliminate the death-trap clutter of cables - three in my case - running back to the PC (mount, guidecam and imaging cam [i use pulse guiding]).  Would performance of the guiding suffer when a big image being dumped from the imaging cam to the PC?  Can't see why it should be an issue but anyone looked into it please?

Steve

Archived