Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M64 Black Eye Galaxy

x6gas

I've not managed any imaging all year!  Only had a few clear hours here and wasn't even able to get out for that so I've been picking over some old data...

This is M64 taken in June last year.  I'm not sure why, but I shot the whole lot with my 490ex binned 3x3 - think I was still experimenting with the relatively new camera...  I had done M51 and M81 with the colour binned but the luminance unbinned...

Data: L = 19 x 300s; R = 19 x 100s; G = 19 x 120s; B = 19 x 140s so could do with more... actually think I'll go back to this and capture it with my 460 unbinned...

Anyway:

Scope: EdgeHD 11 (can't remember which reducer I was using but at either f/6.2 or 7)

Mount: CGEM DX

Camera: Atik 490ex binned 3x3

Guiding: Atik OAG; IMG0H; PHD

post-11821-0-69092000-1390939360_thumb.p

Ian thoght you gone holidaying to Mars or something, not seen you here for a while :-)

The weather is getting a lot of people down but it can only get better.

2nd shot ive seen of this target this week & i will be pointing my C8 at this some time, 3x3 is a lot BUT at least its usable data so not wasted in that respect, i too have been experimenting with binning, Ha & Lum i tested shooting 2x2 & unbinned for both channels to see how it fares, got to do it Ian to see what you can 'mix' & match.

You should make sure to go back to this & def collect more data, i am trying to leave a text document in each folder for targets reminding me later what the setup was when i shot the data RE your reducers.

Anyway nice to see you back posting Ian oh & enjoyed your website btw.

Thanks for the nice comments Daniel, Ewan, and Pete.

Yes Ewan I haven't been able to image anything all month and have been dropping in on SGL a bit less frequently over the last week or so... work's been taking its toll.  We've had soooo much rain here it's unbelievable...

I think I've taken some of the green out of this version:

post-11821-0-04873600-1391015682_thumb.p

I'll have to go back and reprocess it as I have some Ha data to add from the same session and there are a bunch of hot pixels that I didn't take care of...

Too late ive already deducted marks for the green Ian :p , just kidding mate.

Rain, rain & rain, went to work this morning & a lot of the A21 near Hastings was flooded, i feel sorry for all the folks who got flooded, that includes my client in Tonbridge, they got flooded xmas eve :eek:

I wasn't going to mention the green as i know from your previous images it didn't need pointing out, does look better now though & with that extra data it should perk up some more.

I swapped my rig back to the SCT now Ian as i am working on a Horsehead close up but like you say about the weather ive only grabbed about 45 mins Ha, really begins to boil your blood but the flip side is i think ive been polishing my processing skills i could probably get a job with Pixar now :evil:

Look forward to your additional data shot Ian & this should be at a good spot for me in about 6 weeks.

The tweak on the last version has improved the image Ian, it's very nicely processed. I know what you mean about the weather, it's getting us all down; the forecast for the next 7 days here in Devon is looking dire with yet more rain (often heavy) predicted virtually every day.

Martin

Thanks Carole, Richard, Nico, Martin, and Sam for taking the time to comment.

Yes Martin, the weather is absolutely terrible here too (and we've got the roof off the house at the moment too!)  Earlier in the week the forecast was for clear skies tonight, but while it's beautiful and clear here today (if windy) the cloud is due to roll in again before dark.  So I guess I'll go back to more old data so at least I can practice processing!

Cheers everyone, Ian

Thanks so much for the kind comments Mark, Andy, Martyn, and Bryan.

I am itching to get back out under the stars and do some imaging (I'm sure to miss the supernova in M82), but I am quite pleased that I finally processed this data - I was holding out for more.

Archived