Newbie saying Hello

BruceAlmighty

Having had a mild, but growing interest in the night sky, I decided to buy a telescope last week.

I know I've a lot to learn, and I'm quite excited about starting that journey.

So I thought I'd say hello now before I start asking a huge amount of dumb questions.

I thought it might be a good idea to start blogging about my astrology adventure. Explain the things I buy, and the mistakes I make along the way.

So here's the first entry on why I bought a telescope:

http://tinyurl.com/qapcw6t

But it's deciding on what to buy that was difficult. In the end I think it was on gut feel. I realise that what I think I want now will probably be totally different in a years time when I have more knowledge.

http://tinyurl.com/ouptyyu

I had a great night on Friday at Wynyard Planetarium. It was the first clear night since buying my telescope. Seeing the bands on Jupiter from my back garden for the first time was a little bit magical

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello BruceAlmighty and welcome to SGL!! Please be careful what you type as we are a family friendly forum - our rules are explained in the Code of Conduct.

I appreciate that, which is why I'd deliberately obfuscated the word.

I guess different countries and cultures have differing levels and expectations of censorship.

But I now know and understand the level expected here so I'll try my best not to let it happen again

Hi and welcome to SGL. It seems you put a lot of thought into your choice of scope. It was going to be the Nexstar 6E for me too, but as my primary interest is AP I decided on the kit in my signature.

Happy Stargazing and enjoy your Astro journey.

It's nothing to do with countries or cultures. We differ with our rules because we expect our members to treat each other with courtesy and respect. We also cater for a very broad age range.

You know as well as I do that kids say and hear far worse in the playground.

And the language on TV today too. There's plenty of bad language on TV before the watershed.

But rules are rules and I'm happy to abide by them

Archived