Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi I'm new to this :)

Jadeyhc

Hi all,

I'm new to all this, I love looking at the moon, stars and want to see what else is out there. I haven't got a telescope but I'm looking to buy one. I could really use somebody's help with what would be the best telescope to buy. I'm thinking about getting the skywatcher exploer 130m? What's everybody think? Would I need to buy anything else to go with the telescope? And would this be a good telescope for looking at planets? Any help would be great. Thanks :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, 

Welcome to SGL - there are some great people with a LOT of knowledge... I'm a newbie myself.

As a first scope, I got the SW 150P (EQ3-2)... which from the one night of clears skies I've had so far, was brilliant! I share an office with somebody who has the 130 (and he isn't on SGL!), and he loves it, and would strongly recommend it as a first scope. 

Take a look around the posts on here, as there are loads of example images and user experiences for a whole host of scopes (and other things).

Have fun! 

Hi Jadeyhc and welcome to SGL. Like Mark said there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site, A lot of people say that is a great 1st scope. Just keep an eye on this post over the next couple of days and you will see.

And have a good read of all the topics on this site it is full of great advice and tips.

Welcome Jade

Some of the best advice I was given for a beginner , if you haven't found it yet, is to download 'Stellarium' for your computer and start clicking on the various options on the screen to find your way around the skies. If you also have an android device, 'Sky Map' is very similar, and portable. Both these programmes are free.

Have a look on the FirstLightOptics site for your first scope, (click on the FLO banner at the top of this screen), they have some offers on starter scopes at the moment, and Steve from FLO is a regular poster on this forum.

Hi, Jadeyhc, and a warm welcome to SGL! I'm not familiar with the Skywatcher 130M, but if you type that into the search engine on the 'Getting started - Equipment help and advice' or 'Discussions - scopes/whole setups' pages you will find several items related to the scope and what other users have thought of it.

And I, too, would recommend 'Stellarium' as a great tool for finding objects in the night sky and planning a viewing session.

Hope this helps,

Martin

Welcome! I'm new also and have that scope.  I really enjoy using it and have had a great few nights looking at all sorts of great things.  If you look at my gallery you can see some of the photos I took with it ( maybe that will give you an idea of that to expect with it), although my pictures are not nearly as good as people with more experience have taken using this scope.

Hi and welcome. I started on the 130M some years back. Great scope and mount for getting started. Also that setup is a real classic starter setup so resale value is quite good. I got about £45 for just the motor, handset and battery pack. Handy if you ever want to upgrade.

cheers

Chris

Archived