beginner

grahamfleming

Hi Iam a complete beginner I got a celestron astromaster 130eq for Christmas it was faulty so had to return it I am going to replace it but was a bit disappointed in the images I do realise I was probably initially unrealistic about what I could expect to see have since done some reading and reduced my expectations,  now my problem is what to buy I do like the look of the nexstar 6se however a lot more expensive than I had wanted but do you think it would be a better investment for a beginner.  Thanks Graham

Hi Graham a big welcome to SGL,

The Skywatcher 150p 0r 200p Dobson is probably your best option depending on how much you can spend the 150p is around £200 and the 200p is about £280 from FLO (First Light Optics) . I have the 200p and it's a amazing bit of kit and good for deep space.

Hoping for Clear skies

Jason :icon_cyclops:

Hi Graham and welcome to SGL,

I agree with Jason, and would recommend the 200p Dobsonian, you will struggle to get better optics for the money. Also, if you a copy of 'Turn Left at Orion' you will have an idea how Messier objects will appear from a typical back-yard location, together with where and how to find them.

Good luck and all the best 

Phil

Welcome to SGL

They're very different scopes, and in the 6SE you're paying for all the electronics as well as the optics.  Aperture is a major consideration for visual astronomy and for the extra inch of aperture that the 6SE gives you over the 130eq you could have something like a 10" manual dobsonian -- double the aperture of your 130eq -- for less than the price of the 6SE.  Not that I'm necessarily recommending a 10" dob as it may be completely unsuited to you.

If you weren't really that happy with the 130eq then I think I'd suggest trying to get to a local observing group and having a look at what's out there.

I'd agree that the 200P is a good choice of scope, but if you still really want the computerised control without a big budget then you have to consider where else you might compromise.

James

Hi Graham a big welcome to SGL,

The Skywatcher 150p 0r 200p Dobson is probably your best option depending on how much you can spend the 150p is around £200 and the 200p is about £280 from FLO (First Light Optics) . I have the 200p and it's a amazing bit of kit and good for deep space.

Hoping for Clear skies

Jason :icon_cyclops:

Hi Jason thanks for your advice Ive had a good luck at this scope looks great so Ive ordered one if I could just ask your advice on eyepieces what would you recommend shall I get a barlow 2x or the skywatcher eypieces I noticed theres a set of special offer for £79 optical vision would they be any good.  Many thanks Graham

Hi Jason thanks for your advice Ive had a good luck at this scope looks great so Ive ordered one if I could just ask your advice on eyepieces what would you recommend shall I get a barlow 2x or the skywatcher eypieces I noticed theres a set of special offer for £79 optical vision would they be any good.  Many thanks Graham

Hi Graham 

I'm a newbie to and I only got my skywatcher 200p at christmas so i've only got the eyepieces that come with it . I can't give you advice on my experience on which eyepieces to buy  except what other stargazers on SGL have advised me and that is in short save up your money and buy better eyepieces to future proof yourself and a x2 barlow is a good idear. I hope this helped you

Archived