Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from North Yorkshire

Elara

Hello,

i have rekindled my interest in astronomy after a gap of about 40 years! I once owned a 3" refractor back in the 1970's (thanks Dad!) and helped by The Sky at Night on TV and The Observers Book of Astronomy, was able to gain a reasonable knowledge of the night sky and all it's wonders - star clusters, the Moon and Jupiter and Saturn in the main.

Now, with the passing of so much time, I find my desire and interest is rekindled ( not sure from where). I now have the advantage of having an excellent local astronomical equipment supplier on my doorstep ( a big thank you to Marcus Grover of Grovers of Northallerton for advice so far) and access to dark skies in both my back garden ( very low light pollution) and the nearby North Yorkshire Dales.

To me, every day is a school day and with this philosophy I have developed a wide variety of interests, including beekeeping and sea kayaking - helping to keep me occupied and out of the pub ( some of the time!).

I shall be posting an immediate question on a relevant forum, but just wanted to say hello and in line with protocol, introduce myself so to speak.

Thank you,

Graham.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Graham - Welcome to SGL, a great introduction. Its very nice to meet you Sir :smiley: There's masses of info on the forum and there's even a couple of folks on here that know what they are talking about too!!!

Look forward to seeing you about :smiley:

Hi Graham

In addition to having a shop to hand, you've got some fantastic dark skies on your doorstep!  I had an all too short week near Helmsley last Summer and the skies (when not cloudy) were breathtaking.  Oh, and the cycling was good too (didn't try Sutton Bank on the bike though).

Paul

Welcome to SGL from another beekeeper :)

James

Hi james,

Thank you - good to know there are others with similar interests.

As you know, get 2 beekeepers in a room and you get 'N' different opinions - I'm hoping things are a bit different here - 'joshing' of course?  :wink:

It was a great season for me this last year in honey production terms, with good weather being a contributing factor; so here's to clear dark skies once I get my equipment bought and setup!

Graham

Hi Graham

In addition to having a shop to hand, you've got some fantastic dark skies on your doorstep!  I had an all too short week near Helmsley last Summer and the skies (when not cloudy) were breathtaking.  Oh, and the cycling was good too (didn't try Sutton Bank on the bike though).

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you and yes I am very lucky to be living here!

I would have to say 'hats off if you'd managed Sutton Bank on your bike mind you - it's some gradient!

Love Helmsley - its only about half an hour east of where I live.

Graham

Hi Graham - Welcome to SGL, a great introduction. Its very nice to meet you Sir  :wink:  There's masses of info on the forum and there's even a couple of folks on here that know what they are talking about too!!!

Look forward to seeing you about :smiley:

Hi Sara,

Thank you - that's a great website by the way and some amazing images! If you think weather dependancy is a problem in astronomical terms,  then believe me, beekeeping is close by  :wink:

Look forward to contributing in some small way, but probably 'receiving' from the forum more than I can currently 'give' in return.

Cheers!

Graham

Archived