Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best iPad apps for beginners.?

There does seem to be quite some helpful apps around, but rather than spend money on rubbish and/or apps that are time wasters, can I ask if members have already been through this particular 'mill' and can point new ppl to the better available ones on offer? Cheers, ppl. Ken.

You can't go wrong with SkySafari, either the standard or Plus version, don't bother about Pro for the moment.

I also like Luminos, good for seeing fields of view with different bits of kit.

Plenty more out there, but these are the two I use most.

If you haven't already found it, the website www.heavens-above.com is useful, as is www.sat24.com for checking where the clouds are!

Stu

M any Tx for all everyone. I had Luminos, Star Chart, Stellarium and Moon HD. Now Tx to you My latest and LAST one is Sky Safari + . If that lot doesn't keep me busy I don't know what will. Tx again.

Well here s more! I have Planisphere. It s never had good reviews mainly because it doesn't do much! But as a simple static finder I find it very useful. And you dont have to point it at an object to make it work. Just a planisphere. Also a free version of skyview. It seems to be the only 'moving' sky that works reasonably without jerking and wiz zing about. I only have an iphone which makes it even more useful on a small screen.

Without a shadow of a doubt get Skyguide. Accurate...accurate...accurate.

I personally found sky safari a bit buggy.

Just had a look at this. It is nice and clear, with lots of information on the stars it does include. Tracking seems responsive and accurate. It is very limited in detail vs SkySafari which allows you to zoom in much further and identify far more stars, plus showing things like Jupiters moon and transits etc. I've never had a problem with it being buggy.

Stu

• 3 weeks later...

Complete beginner also I have a few star chart, star walk and Luminos. I found Luminos the best and most user friendly with loads of info, definitely enough for a beginner. I'm on it more or less every night and that's without me owning a scope yet.

Although all these reviews about sky safari might have to give that a try

• 3 months later...

Sky Safari 4 is fantastic

Luminos is also really good

Don't like the lack of landscape mode in stellarium

Sky walker et al more basic than sky safari

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was using Star Chart & Stellarium quite some time before getting my scope that i got last week - i found them both really helpful in learning my way around the skies .

I added Sky Guide today and that looks really good too .

I use SkySafari Plus, and Scope Nights a lot. I've not heard of luminos before, and it looks prettier. I also used Star Walk too, which is prettier than SkySafari too - but as Stu says, SkySafari goes deeper and is more accurate at the scope.

Archived