SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

iPhone apps

I find SkySafari to be the best I have used on the iPhone.  The cheap £1.99 version will probably do you fine for what you need.  

When I was starting out I found the "Tonight's Best" function a really good way to plan my viewing for the evening.

• 2 months later...

Another +1 for skysafari, so many useful features - tonight's best, magnitude limiting items, highlighting groups or types , building observing lists to name just a few..... Plus database of lots of useful info for most items . I've used since bought first scope, been invaluable tool since :)

I use Starmap Pro on the iPhone, along with SkySafari Pro which works properly on both the iPhone or the iPad.

Celestron's free Cosmos Navigator seems to be a SkySafari clone and may be worth a look too.

• 2 weeks later...

Have recently downloaded the free Celestron Cosmos Navigator. It is packed with info, and free. Simple to use and also available for iPad and Android devices.

Andrew

Have recently downloaded the free Celestron Cosmos Navigator. It is packed with info, and free. Simple to use and also available for iPad and Android devices.

Andrew

To my eye that looks identical to SkySafari in the screenshot, which is interesting because SkySafari will cost you at least a couple of quid depending which version you get.

Here's a screenshot of SS I took a moment ago...

2upa5ury.jpg

And here's the screenshot provided for the Celestron app...

guqy2a3a.jpg

If they are the same then it's a no brainer. Get it before they start charging for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. And all of the above are good answers. I've just realised how many unused astronomy apps that I have on my phone!

If you are a beginner (unlikely given the signature - but here we go).

Start with Star Walk - good for the Moon, Planets, Messiers and more prominent NGC's (not too confusing detail wise & looks great).

Then - Stellarium - Best for actually helping you find stuff once you know roughly what you are looking for (my field app of choice).

Then - Sky Safari Pro - got everything (pay the £15) massive amount of detail and background. You'll loose your self for hours but, way way too much info for using as a field map IMHO.

I use Obverver Pro for recording sightings and seeing what is realistically visible and when.

Jupiter's Moons (sky & telescope) is a free must have.

Scope Nights, MeteoBlue (astro section) & Sat24 for the weather.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Archived