Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 22/12

SnakeyJ

I only got one run in tonight, after shortening the focal length to 2800mm and doing a star check and then the clouds rolled in before I could push the F/L.

gallery_26731_2869_373630.png

1000 of 6000 frames each for R, G & B channels, sharpen in AS!2, 1.5x upscale and unsharp mask in GIMP.   Colour probably off as processed on laptop.

Much better result than the rest of my runs so far this year, though normally trying @ 4400mm.

Hi Jake,

I have had very similar problems tonight. I thought the seeing was pretty good between the clouds, but I could just not get a good focus. Too late now and too many whiskey's to process, will have to wait a day or two for that.

Can I ask why do you take so many frames? Jupiter's rotation becomes evident after about 3mins, which is a very small window and you said you were taking 6000 frames per channel. That is a long time!

Might be better trying to reduce the time you spend on each channel and try to capture it all within 3 mins - difficult I know but i think it would improve things.

I have not moved over to RGB imaging, i would like to, but funds do not allow as yet and it means dealing with the problems I mentioned above - certainly on Jupiter.

Good effort though.

Ian

Hi Jake,

I have had very similar problems tonight. I thought the seeing was pretty good between the clouds, but I could just not get a good focus. Too late now and too many whiskey's to process, will have to wait a day or two for that.

Can I ask why do you take so many frames? Jupiter's rotation becomes evident after about 3mins, which is a very small window and you said you were taking 6000 frames per channel. That is a long time!

Might be better trying to reduce the time you spend on each channel and try to capture it all within 3 mins - difficult I know but i think it would improve things.

I have not moved over to RGB imaging, i would like to, but funds do not allow as yet and it means dealing with the problems I mentioned above - certainly on Jupiter.

Good effort though.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I've got to look at doing some manual wavelets on the stacks, rather than the default AS!2 sharpens and think I can pull some more detail out without creating too much noise.

My little QHY5L-II was capturing these in 8 bit, with an ROI of 400x400 at 105fps or there abouts - the captures are each 59 seconds, though I do loose a little time swapping the filters over with a manual wheel.     I do use WinJupos to de-rotate the RGB frames, which seems to work well on the disk, but not so good on visible moons which it does not align - though there may well be something within WJ that I haven't found yet!

Hi Snakey - from a play I'm sure you're right about being able to pull my detail out than you've done here - in fact this is a creditable effort but fyi you won't get what you want by using the sharpening in AS!2.....this application is NOT intended to sharpen any data as part of an image-processing routine but merely to determine the quality of your image: stack a decent number of frames at a reasonable quality % and take these into R6 for wavelets etc...you'll see a very marked improvement..!

That's a good effort there Jake. Wavelets will help to bring out more detail so you really should give them a go on your stacked image.

I don't agree with the need to get it all captured in 3 mins. At the FLs you are using and with WinJupos I would say aim to get it all done in ~10 mins giving you 2.5 to 3 mins per AVI.

Thanks to all for encouragement and suggestions on this - I've had a manic day at work, but here's a quick re-process with manual wavelets:

gallery_26731_2869_69982.png

Obviously some more to do on this, but should get a couple of hours to play tonight - Big thanks.

Cheers James - sure I can push the focal length a little more here, but this result was with the Baader x2.25 Q Barlow, which has given my best images so far.    Just need to add another extension tube to give 3.5m+ which should be manageable.

Many processing lessons learned over Christmas - here's a revisit on the original data, processed in PIPP to sort and correct SER file headers, restacked in AS!2, with more aggressive use of wavelets in R6.   Unsharp mask and final levels in Gimp2.

gallery_26731_2869_801353.png

Off to investigate Image Analyser!

Archived