Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best higher power eyepiece for my telescope and needs.

Mad Taff

Hi Everyone. I need to invest in another eyepiece but not sure which to go for. I’ve read many of the posts here on eyepieces but I would value some views. My scope is the Skywatcher Explorer 200p f/5 f1000. What I’m looking for is an eyepiece to push the useable magnification beyond what I currently use. My 8mm BST Starguider gives me x 125 with good views of the planets and moon. I’ve tried barlowing x2 with this eyepiece, but it’s just too much and things are a blur. I suspect that a 5mm Starguider giving me x200 would have to have better than average seeing and might not be used much. I think a 6mm might work well giving me just over x160 but you can’t get this size with the Starguiders.  I suppose I could get a 12mm and barlow this but I would prefer to use a single eyepiece. I would welcome suggestions on what eyepiece to get that would work well with my telescope and push the magnification without compromising the quality of my viewing. My budget is between £50 - £70. Cheers, Phil

I have just taken time to research and write a report on two very high power eyepieces which is on this eyepiece section, both are Televue offerings. I used a 1000mm scope not too much unlike yours but to be honest I think the two eyepieces in question a 3mm and a 3.5mm were a little too much for 90% of the time. I think you could be well sevred with the 4.5mm Delos or the 4mm Radian both are; razor sharp, handle all aberrations, contrasty, very low light scatter and difficult to better.

I am going to start work on a review of these two against the 3-6mm Nagler zoom, I will be using a one meter scope again as well as others.

Sorry I just noticed your budget. Over the top again but a secondhand 4mm or 5mm Radian will be for life and can be got for about 100.

Alan

The Vixen NLV and LV are available in 5mm and should be very good in your scope. Second-hand they should be more affordable than Radians (but perhaps still a bit too much). I have also heard good things about the TS HR Planetary EPs

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p155_TS-Optics-5mm-HR-Planetary-UWA---60----1-25--Okular---voll-multiverguetet.html

Also available in 5mm, although I do not know how good they are in a fast scope.

I have also heard good things about the TS HR Planetary EPs

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p155_TS-Optics-5mm-HR-Planetary-UWA---60----1-25--Okular---voll-multiverguetet.html

Also available in 5mm, although I do not know how good they are in a fast scope.

I have HR 5mm/9mm/15mm, used in 130P f5 scope, I would say that HRs are very flat on the edge, some coma in 15% outer area, but not at all disturbing in anyway.  For price in 50-60€, I would say they worth the money second only to BCOs.

I have HR 5mm/9mm/15mm, used in 130P f5 scope, I would say that HRs are very flat on the edge, some coma in 15% outer area, but not at all disturbing in anyway.  For price in 50-60€, I would say they worth the money second only to BCOs.

To make it clear, I was thinking of EPs in range 5mm to 10mm, or even shorter FL, that's what OP meant "high power eyepiece" in my world :smiley:

I have just taken time to research and write a report on two very high power eyepieces which is on this eyepiece section, both are Televue offerings. I used a 1000mm scope not too much unlike yours but to be honest I think the two eyepieces in question a 3mm and a 3.5mm were a little too much for 90% of the time. I think you could be well sevred with the 4.5mm Delos or the 4mm Radian both are; razor sharp, handle all aberrations, contrasty, very low light scatter and difficult to better.

I am going to start work on a review of these two against the 3-6mm Nagler zoom, I will be using a one meter scope again as well as others.

Sorry I just noticed your budget. Over the top again but a secondhand 4mm or 5mm Radian will be for life and can be got for about 100.

Alan

I was thinking the same, the Nagler Zoom, it is a bit over the budget though :D.

Is eye relief an issue? Perhaps an Astro-Hutech or BCO would be good :).

Mad Taff,

You said you would value some different views, well here goes, although you may not like it. I agree with Alan. I think it is wiser to take the time to save  for a great eyepiece than to make a quick and economical decision. I have an XT8, fl1200, and saved for a used Radian, took awhile longer, but when I looked through that 6mm Radian it was magic at X200 and a lifelong keeper.  Later it took even longer to save for a used 7mm Pentax XW, but even more worth the wait. Both eyepieces are 20mm eye relief and a real pleasure to use for hours on end. Sometimes the best results come from careful planning and waiting until you can afford just the right piece.

David

Mad Taff,

You said you would value some different views, well here goes, although you may not like it. I agree with Alan. I think it is wiser to take the time to save for a great eyepiece than to make a quick and economical decision. I have an XT8, fl1200, and saved for a used Radian, took awhile longer, but when I looked through that 6mm Radian it was magic at X200 and a lifelong keeper. Later it took even longer to save for a used 7mm Pentax XW, but even more worth the wait. Both eyepieces are 20mm eye relief and a real pleasure to use for hours on end. Sometimes the best results come from careful planning and waiting until you can afford just the right piece.

David

Of course this is good sound advice. But another way is to buy second hand while saving . What I mean is you usually get ALL your money back if you buy s/ h and resell later. So if say you want to save for a radian eyepiece , but you know it could be months and months before you can manage it, and you want a eyepiece to be getting along with , then get a 6mm tmb , or similar for a smaller price , knowing that if you look after it you lose nothing when it comes to upgrading if yousee what I mean.

I bought. 99% of my astro gear second hand and it's a good way of climbing a ladder.

i have heard a lot about the williams spl and i dont doubt them, but for a bit less the ts h-rs are brilliant and in my opinion better than the starguiders due to there is no yellow tint, you can buy them from modern astronomy around 50 quid inc next day delivery

The Celestron XCEL's are pretty good and work fine in my brothers P200,  they make a 5mm and 7mm ,60deg and they have plenty of eye relief  :smiley: Price wise they can be picked up for aprrox £40 - £50 second hand.

Archived