Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horizon tonight Comet Ison

Davey-T

I watched it last night, what I don't understand is why it's not heading straight to the sun. in my mind the pull of the suns gravity should suck it straight in, never mind a graze it! probably my lack of physics understanding.

I don't want to seem a Kiljoy here, but the the main excitement about this guest, is the pristine condition it's in.

The Interest that science has, is it was born at the birth of the Solar System, and they are hopefully going to reap some answers concerning planet  forming.

The Amateurs are hoping the comet develops into a spectacular sight, with a tail millions of Km long.

The forecast was that it will do so, I'm a bit sceptical, sorry.

If it gets anywhere as good as Hale Bopp, or Hyukutake,  we'll all be happy.

They dropped by from the Oort Cloud too didn't they, did they learn much from those two?

I do hope it blazes up. :grin:

Ron.

I certainly winced when they claimed that  deuterium was an isotope of hydrogen with an extra proton.

Yes, that was quite a shocking error to let through.  I'm sure it was just a slip of the tongue, but even so...

James

I certainly winced when they claimed that  deuterium was an isotope of hydrogen with an extra proton.

I've just seen the repeat this evening, yes, big wince moment !

The other wince was that she demonstrated boyancy in a beaker of heavy water using ANOTHER glass stopper. If she was a real scientist she would have either used the same stopper or would have first demonstrated that the second stopper had the same density as the first one.

She introduced two variables into the demo/experiment :( poor practice.

but, nevertheless, neat demo ! :)

just think, back in 194? that beaker of heavy water would have (did) cost a fortune.

I've just seen the repeat this evening, yes, big wince moment !

The other wince was that she demonstrated boyancy in a beaker of heavy water using ANOTHER glass stopper. If she was a real scientist she would have either used the same stopper or would have first demonstrated that the second stopper had the same density as the first one.

She introduced two variables into the demo/experiment :( poor practice.

but, nevertheless, neat demo ! :)

just think, back in 194? that beaker of heavy water would have (did) cost a fortune.

And the Norwegians dumped a huge load of it into a Fiord. Had to be done of course, knowing where it was bound for.

Shame it cost many innocent lives though.

Ron.

And the Norwegians dumped a huge load of it into a Fiord. Had to be done of course, knowing where it was bound for.

Shame it cost many innocent lives though.

Exactly so,

which is why, maybe, I was so,,, um I dunno the right words here , disappointed

flippent non-rigorous demo ?

disregard for history ?

there was so much more physics and history there in that little beaker, so short a programme,

all brought into question over a few extra bubles of gas in an imperfect glass stopper and an extraneous proton !

so sad

but maybe it is me that is sad ?

maybe I am out of time ?

"Hero's Of The Telemark or something like that"

yep, something like that

"recorded programme about science.  This was such a fundamental error"

Yes! Plenty of time for a , umm, what used to be known as 'peer review' , even She could have said

"Arghh, I blundered, slip of the tongue, can we do that again?"

but does it matter, really, we (I) can get wound up about it, but in the grand scheme of things and the Beeb, well , , , :)

Like I have said elsewhere, they gorn downhill since I left ;-)

I personally can't wait to find out what has happened to ISON.

Did spent some hours out in the cold wee hours about 3 weeks ago, trying to spot it to no avail.

I did get a splendid view of Orion, the Pleiades and several Globular clusters tho so not all was lost.

It should be in the thick of it now, but still no news?

Archived