Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Inspiration

recceranger

I was in two minds whether to watch it but I'm glad I did.

I have never witnessed an hour go so quickly. He kept my attention through his enthusiasm and clear speaking. I thought the Doctor Who interludes were great especially the last one.

Here here. I thought it was an excellent show, taking quite profound concepts and making them so accessible.

I also love the 'Christmas lecture' format as they were always something I enjoyed and found inspiring as a kid. Still do for that matter! :icon_biggrin:

It was really rather good wasn't it! He does have a way of explaining things in a way that even a thickie like me can enjoy!

It was even more interesting as im reading the 56p book that 'Crebles' found on Amazon Kindle a few days ago called 'The Universe In 100 Key Discoveries', which covers a great deal of the subjects Brian was talking about!

I can add to Crebles recommendation, for 56p the book is wonderfull!!

Doc

...  including the oldest trade, astronomy.

Hmm...maybe second oldest?

I meant to make that comment too :laugh:

Now that's interesting.  I'm pretty sure I know what you mean, and normally I would agree with you.... however.... in a previous life (armed forces) I was always told by our Armourers (our weapons technicians) that they were in fact proud members of 'The Oldest Trade'.

Now then, who is right?  I can understand those who believe or agree that it is the one whose membership consists of, how shall I put this... the ladies of the night.  However, if you think about the human race, both as we are now and how we probably were in our earliest days, then it makes seems reasonable to me to assume that we have been making weapons to turn against each other even longer than we have been practising the normal pursuit that follows the fighting.... at least for those still fit to pursue such activities!  War before R&R eh?

It's probably a very close call, but I would have to go with the armourers.

.......then it makes seems reasonable to me to assume that we have been making weapons to turn against each other even longer than we have been practising the normal pursuit that follows the fighting......

Lets not turn this into a debate about what came first but how about the weapons that were made to hunt and capture prey to survive - I would say that happened long before we began to fight each other!

Lets keep the thread on track please.

Lets not turn this into a debate about what came first but how about the weapons that were made to hunt and capture prey to survive - I would say that happened long before we began to fight each other!

Lets keep the thread on track please.

That was my point Digz;  That those who made the weapons (irrespective of who used them and for what purpose) may be considered as members of the oldest trade, possibly older than the other two candidates for the title.... astronomers and prostitutes.

It was not intended to cause any offense (hence the way I worded it) but was in response to the OP by recceranger who ascribed the title to Astronomers. 

I accept it may have been off topic though, and apologise for that.

Regards

Rob :smiley:

I would have thought that war of some form would have existed before astronomy but organised war with a military and weapons would have come after the earliest form of astronomy - looking at the sky and asking questions. 

On a related note, where Red Dot finders first used on guns or telescopes? 

I would have thought that war of some form would have existed before astronomy but organised war with a military and weapons would have come after the earliest form of astronomy - looking at the sky and asking questions. 

On a related note, where Red Dot finders first used on guns or telescopes?

It's an interesting point for sure but can we get back on track with thread.

Please don't discuss this anymore as sooner or later someone will break the CoC and we know what happens then :p

Well well chaps,

Never realised we had so many ex/serving military astronomers on the air!

Rob, you are quite correct on old trades etc (but everyone knows the Infantry are the oldest military trade).  However, my point was related to astronomy in relation to science.  A show like "The Science of Dr Who with Pro Brian Cox is all too rare an outing on the box.  I am hoping for another series like wonders with the professor.  Maybe specific on the SETI piece and all we are doing to answer the big Q.  In my opinion the BBC Science team are producing shows that punch way above anything being aired by Discovery Sci etc.

Ps, I still don't agree with paying the BBC for a TV License though! Lol

Rick

Well well chaps,

Never realised we had so many ex/serving military astronomers on the air!

Rob, you are quite correct on old trades etc (but everyone knows the Infantry are the oldest military trade).  However, my point was related to astronomy in relation to science.  A show like "The Science of Dr Who with Pro Brian Cox is all too rare an outing on the box.  I am hoping for another series like wonders with the professor.  Maybe specific on the SETI piece and all we are doing to answer the big Q.  In my opinion the BBC Science team are producing shows that punch way above anything being aired by Discovery Sci etc.

Ps, I still don't agree with paying the BBC for a TV License though! Lol

Rick

Hi Rick, my earlier comments have been deemed inappropriate so I can’t add to that particular discussion, but I certainly agree with you regarding the positive affect the good Professor is having in bringing science in general, and Astronomy in particular, to a new and younger audience.  All good stuff.  :smiley:

Archived