Hello from Cocoa FL

hrgreen

Hi.  I am an inexperienced observer, but have been reading astronomy since I was eight or so, and majored in Physics.  In the last 10 months, I have acquired my third, nicest Celestron SCT, after 25 years of inactivity with my basic C8's.  It's a CGEM 925 Edge, with some Televues, and recently a StarSense.  I'm lucky also to have a campus observatory/planetarium with a 24 inch about two miles away, where I volunteer some to interface with the public.

Can see some DSO's in my front yard with the trees and streetlights, but no convenient dark place to go, and not a lot of clear nights.  I'm hoping for better in the next few months.  Don't know if I'll get around to AP with no good site.

Hal

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Hal, welcome to SGL, it's good to have you on board. What's the problem with your site for AP? If it's light pollution you can use narrowband filters instead of normal RGB and create some stunning images.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Cocoa is about eight miles from Cocoa Beach, on the mainland.  Like a lot of others in the area, I'm retired from the Cape (NASA), where I worked in the Delta and Centaur programs. 

You guys are in some exotic places.  Charon, I lived somewhat close, in Turkey and Egypt as a teenager in the fifties.  Have visited many other countries, but not China or Spain.

Hal

Cocoa is about eight miles from Cocoa Beach, on the mainland.  Like a lot of others in the area, I'm retired from the Cape (NASA), where I worked in the Delta and Centaur programs. 

You guys are in some exotic places.  Charon, I lived somewhat close, in Turkey and Egypt as a teenager in the fifties.  Have visited many other countries, but not China or Spain.

Hal

I was on an RN Submarine and we were running in and out of Pt Canaveral using the AUTEC underwater testing ranges off the Bahamas in the late 70's. I was lucky enough to see a satellite launch (on top of a Titan Rocket) in  1977 at Canaveral. Plus it was a good run ashore.

What a great number of welcomes! Thank you all.

Dana, I'm not a baseball fan. But Red Dwarf, two particular things impel me toward Spain. One is a love of Flamenco; I studied guitar with a very good player in D. C. before having to leave for Florida in '62. The other is your modern high-speed train system, as I am a model and prototype train nut.

Proto Star, I'm also very interested in the "boats". My family was mostly Navy, and I had an uncle on the Squalus in1939. When the Nathaniel Greene (sp?) came to the port for missile tests, we traded the crew launch pad tours for a tour of their boat. Wow!

I have clear sky until about 1 am, so.......

Hal

Archived