NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hardware; Dental vs Astronomical

Liquid360

For awhile now I've needed five dental implants which totals right around 10k. Finally having saved the money I was struck with a nasty reality. Teeth vs Scope hardware?!? It began as a joke but it took me a couple weeks to decide! I went with teeth but couldn't believe how difficult the choice was lol

- Nate

Birmingham, AL

Wow! Mind blowing cost of the implants.

I had a crown recently and thought that was bad enough at £350.

Just think what you could have got for £10k.... toothless but happy!

Also... you can't see teeth in the dark, so you would have been okay for half the time.

I had this a good few years back, needed a lot of dental work, also needed a laptop, it all worked out, i bought the laptop and then got an abscess ended up at leeds dental uni and got a place on "treatment for training" scheme 

I'm missing nine front teeth - £18k on implants was a bit much. Nasty cheapo dentures were hideous to wear. Compromised on bespoke chromium cobalt dentures, fit a treat, I can play my sax with them in and - the ultimate test - can eat a toffee apple with them. Cost was about a grand. With the seventeen grand I've saved I have four scopes, a BMW R1150GS Adventure :grin: and a room full of saxes.

Yeah the price is very high... that number includes extraction, bone grafts, implants, and then the crowns. Four separate procedures spanning a few months. I haven't decided on which crown yet. Stainless is cheaper than enameled... also considering palladium and titanium.

- Nate

Birmingham, AL

10 K for some new teeth, How do they justify that. I am Stunned :smiley:

Well, if you expect to live another (say) 40 years that's less than a quid a day. And if you don't live that long, you won't mind as you'll be dead .... hang on a sec ... :confused:

I looked into the dental holiday thing also. Israel is another destination. However, because of my need for bone grafts and then healing time it would've meant a couple trips. In the end I'd've saved a little but not enough to justify the travel.

- Nate

Birmingham, AL

Interesting this topic should come up... Been on my mind of late. I have a deep phobia of dentists..

I regard myself as a victim of the 60's school dentist...bet they could have retired on my mouth alone! I lived away (no NHS) from the UK in the 70's & 80's & had to pay for doctors & dentists.. (Still remember the £120 bill for root canal treatment in 1979). So the cost of treatment is no surprise to me..

Never the less I got into a routine of regular visits & check ups but even on the rare occasions I needed nothing done, my teeth always ached & were sore..

10 years ago my dentist retired, I've not been to one since.. I've had far far less dental pain since then than I can remember in the previous 40 years! I'm convinced all that poking & prodding isn't always for the patients benefit!

No doubt I'm on borrowed time with the remaining knashers but the bits that have fallen out so far have been far less painful than the years spent "looking after my teeth!"

Ohh yes and My mum told me that having implants were the most painful thing she had experienced..

I've decided its cheaper & less painful to Pursue my astro photography addiction.. A bottle of medicinal single malt and tincture of cloves now and again plus the cost of a blender are far cheaper than implants.. Besides... I quite like soup ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I also hate going to the dentist and spend as little time there as possibe, so the quickest route is to just get them pulled out...... I have about 8 on the top and about the same on the bottom....but not all opposing so it makes chewing interesting...........but i do like soup :grin:

Sounds cool JonF. Are they actually chrome plated ..a bit like Jaws from the Bond movie?

I can imagine reflections off them could play havoc during observing sessions.  :laugh:

Ha ha

The teeth are just plain white - well, actually,as they match my natural teeth they're a sort of yellowy greeney colour, reflecting a life of red wine and coffee consumption. They're mounted on a plate of the fancy alloy, which is so thin it's almost unnoticable, and which avoids all the trauma and cost of implants

Some people go on  a 'dental holiday' to Poland and get their teeth fixed for a fraction of the cost. There is nothing sub-standard about their dentists, they're just a lot cheaper.

Yes an ex colleague of mine did this. He had inside knowledge though as his wife is polish. He reckoned the quality of treatment was second to none.

Archived