Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Australia!

Novella

G'day everyone!

I'm extremely new to astrophotography. So new I bought a Canon Eos 6D only a week ago and it was last night I could really stretch it's legs and see exactly what it could do. I hope to be getting my first telescope in the new year but I really needed a place that had suggestion and good advance on what to get an how I can make the most out of both my camera and telescope. I have been interested in astronomy for such a long time, it's only now I've decided to actually pursue this interest and my existing interest in photography. As a child I thought I was so smart being the only one who could name the planets in order and my interest in everything space-related has stemmed from there.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and hopefully make some new friends.

:)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL! If you are wanting to image then the most important part of the whole setup is the mount. Do you have a mount at the moment or were you using a fixed tripod? With a tracking mount you can get some good images with your camera just attached to the mount, you don't need a telescope to take some cracking images.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Novella and welcome to SGL. If, as you say, you are new to the dark art, it would be in your best interests to see if you can get hold of a copy of Steve Richards book... " making Every Photon Count " see FLO top of page, could well save you making some of those inevitable beginner mistakes and money in the long run, enjoy :)

Welcome to SGL, if you're wanting to do Astro Photography you need an equatorial mount and get one bigger than the one suggested with the telescope.  i.e. my setup normally comes with a EQ3 mount, but I opted for the EQ5 as the weight bearing is 6kg for imaging and 9kg for observing.

:smiley:

Thanks for the welcomes so far!

With my camera I am currently using a fixed tripod for photos. The beauty of the 6D is it also comes with Wifi and there's an Eos app which allows you to do remote shooting via iPhone, aka my saving grace for zero camera shake (until the cat comes up and decides to rub up against the tripod.)

As for a telescope I am really interested in the Celestron CGEM 925 which I believe has an equatorial mount - is this one of the more important features I should be looking for in a telescope?

Welcome Novella from an Aussie in Spain. :)

Definitely the equatorial mount is what you should base any telescope purchase around, especially if you want to go for astrophotgraphy.

The 9.25 is a great telescope too but depending just what you want to do with it there are plenty of different options as well.

Archived