Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie advice from a newbie.

I just wanted to sit down and type up some things that I have learned in the past year of actually studying space in depth and recently buying my first scope. There is plenty of great tips and information on this website from seasoned veterans of 20 years plus. But I want to make sure that you know that if you follow these tips, study up a bit, and struggle and learn on your own, you will make it. You will learn to appreciate faint fuzzy galaxies, and globular clusters, the ever elusive nebulae, and other DSO's. It's not always easy, and no matter how easy some people make it sound, it's not. Try to learn the sky on your own, and try not to rely on goto mounts. Opinions vary, but I am so much more pleased when I find what I'm looking for after looking at stars, comparing magnitudes to charts, comparing locations, and then low and behold, your first galaxy, M-31. Or your first star cluster M-13. No matter how small or faint the object is, you will still be proud that you found it, by yourself, just like Messier did way back in the 1700's. Learn to appreciate the big and the small alike, and think about how small you are in this universe. Look at that faint fuzzy andromeda galaxy and realize, that is millions upon millions of miles across. The fact that you even see it as such is a wonder, and the photons from that galaxy, that started their journey 2.5 million years ago, just happened to end their journey through space and time on the retina of your eyes. If that doesn't make you think, or even proud to have stepped into this amazing hobby, I don't know what will. All in all, hang in there, learn what you can, and appreciate all of the small things. Keep searching, and you will see that it all is worth it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very well thought out and worded. Your experience sounds the same as most others here. I know it certainly reflects my early days in astronomy. Times and technology have changed but i still love "the hunt" for objects and the personal reward it brings when i do find what i want. I rarely use the Go-to functions on my scope apart from directing where the scope points. That's just me though. 

Really nice post about basically getting back to basics which i'd imagine most do from time to time,if only for old times sake and the sheer enjoyment.

Very well said the farther you can see the more you are concious of. Imagine the andromeda as the headlights of a truck comming from a long ways off. Often as I sit there I feel like the milky way is like a city seen from a distant hillside. Its all just out there, makes me feel alot better in this day and age.

Excellent post! I started out on a manual EQ2 mounted 130p and viewing the moon and planets and finding M57, the Double Cluster and many double starts gave me huge satisfaction. However in many instances, despite the illustrations in my books, I didn't know what I was supposed to be looking for or even if what I was hunting for was actually viewable with my setup. This led to quite some frustration. Earlier this year I upgraded to a GOTO mount and through this I'm learning what to look for. Knowing that when I set the mount to point at a nebula or a galaxy it's there somewhere and I've just got learn how to use my eyes to make it out. I still have the intention of properly learning the skies and how to star hop but right now I'm just enthralled whenever my scope stops slewing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hi Ccolvin968 this is exactly my observing at the moment, I agree with you 100%, seeing M31 and Jupiter with my own eyes is mind-blowing as was seeing M45 through my scope with a 25mm EP as opposed to a naked eye view. I am still trying to learn where to look and sometimes it can be difficult to spot such small faints or fuzzies, especially in my light polluted area, but I think the biggest problem with starting out is expectation, having seen Hubble images ect.

Does any body know if there is a book available that gives realistic images as seen through a smaller scope?

Hi Gottzi, I learned a lot from this post by Qualia, hope this helps.

Does any body know if there is a book available that gives realistic images as seen through a smaller scope?

Turn Left at Orion is a good option to look at

I have Stephen O'Meara's book 'Deep Sky Conpanions: The Messier Objects' is a good one, with black and white images and sketches done in a small scope, albeit by one of the best visual observers in the world from one of the darkest sites in the world!! I think they are probably similar to views through an 8" from average skies.

Moonshane has a good book which I shall ask for for Christmas which is 'An Illustrated guide to Astronomical Wonders'. Again, nice, more realistic images and maps in there.

Cheers

Stu

Archived