Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a quick reminder that we have planned a meeting at Winscarr resevoir this evening to watch the peak of the Geminids meteor shower and some general observing.
The weather forecast is looking a bit changeable at the moment, but both metcheck and the BBC are showing rain this afternoon that clears away by early evening and then becoming much clearer later on. So if you are up for a bit of cloud dodging then we might be in for a chance of seeing some good meteors! The event section of the website says we will be starting at 6pm, so do feel free to turn up at any time from then. I will not be able to get down there till just after 8pm so I will see you all then.

Just a reminder, no equipment is necessary for this event except warm clothing and maybe a camping chair. But do feel free to bring along telescopes, binoculars etc if you wish to observe the night sky. Please Note: No bright lights are to be used while at the event, only RED headlamps. Also cars are advised to dip there headlights upon entering the car parking area. Details for direction's can be found below. Please wrap up warm and stay safe. (WADAS).

Winscarr Reservoir: Pennine Sailing Club Carpark, Winscarr Reservoir, Sheffield, S36 4TG.

Hello all,

I just had Colin at the Wakefield Express on the phone. He was hoping to get a photo of some of the members with some scopes etc. I suggested at the meeting next week. The only time the photographer could make would be 18:00 on that day. Can we get a few members to turn up at that time with some gear for the photo?

Sam

weather is looking distinctly 'unsettled' this evening until about 2am.

hmmmmmmmmmm but of my 3 weather reports they seem to have changed their tune about 5 times today. I think i will look out the window and check them again when i put my child to bed at 7 and make the decision about winscarr...

fingers crossed I will see you all at 8pm-ish

:lipsrsealed:  :lipsrsealed:  :lipsrsealed:

Great news about wakefield express Sammy. Will try to bring scope or Terrascans at least.

As for tonight I won't be there until after 8 anyway as going to Bolton to get my girls.

Nick not checked today but did you get around to sending out an email to members about the session. Hopefully it will clear but when I checked weather reports it said it wasn't going to clear until 2am, prefect for the peak but not so good for going to winscarr and waiting about.

Would have gone last month for that talk but things conspired against me so no luck there.  Will have to toddle over and see how it is all going.

And yes, it does seem to be a "unsettled night" according to the image from Northwood barometric chart.  But lets hope you get some decent images.

High cloud is making anything other than the moon a washout, so I'm packing up and going home.

Just wish I had brought my lunar 100 map with me, as the moon really is very pretty and interesting when suitably filtered. Plus I'm very happy now I've figured this tracking thing out on the dob, x175 nd craters stayed bang on for several minutes before I wanted to move on to the next bit.

Archived