Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all long time no speak or stargaze. just to let you know end July, my partner Julie was diagnosed with a serious illness. long story short after many hospital visits, treatment and an op, she has been given a thumbs up. Needless to say I have been very pre occupied and busy with care etc.. anyhoo just wanted to catch up see what was going on with the club, get out and observe and just generally catch up. whats the gig with Lee??? might be nice to attend that.   

Hey Russty, glad everything is good, and wife is well on the mend.

If you're free tonight come down to Horbury Academy for 7.30, we are holding our second meeting for WADAS and Lee from Greenwitch is doing a talk for us on comets and celestial bodies. If the weather holds we'll do some gazing at Parker road afterwards but that part isn't looking too good ATM.

clicky link map VVVVVVV

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Horbury+Academy&safe=active&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=academy&hnear=0x487961462b3eab59:0x71782234bb664ac5,Horbury,+West+Yorkshire&cid=0,0,15410011016484812908&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A

park in the main car park and go to the main visitor entrance (left hand side of car park down the steps) and sign in there. someone will direct / take you to the room we are using for this evening.

Look forward to seeing you later on.

Nick

Excellent news chaps. I just had the Wakefield Express on the phone. They plan to do a feature on WADAS in the next few weeks in the run up to StarGazing Live.

Also they said they are running a story on ISON and are including one of Kieran's photos. I was aksed what we are planning to do for the ISO observing event but I said we need to confirm timings for that due to the uncertainty over whether the planned time would be OK to observe it. If we can confirm the timing they might put it in the paper. 

looking at the latest planned trajectories for Ison - on the 6th December is will be 5deg above the horizon at 4pm and then on the horizon at 4.32pm

so we have a pickle about what to do about observing it.

a ) bring the time forward to 3.30/4pm

b  )hope the tail is massive and visible and even though we cant see the comet, the tail is a lovely sight and leave the time for 5pm.

c ) we all man up and change the meeting to 6am and get a good hours observing in without the issue of the sun/horizons!!!

this all depends on if Soupy can arrange for us to move the time forward at the school due to other school comittments / parking and more importantly a viewable horizon.

Secondly we need to gauge how many members can actually get there at 6am or 4pm on a friday.

alternatively, I work at wakefield house in the town centre and have secured the use of the roof (equiv of 8th floor and tallest building around other than the cathedral), so could theoretically set up a scope up there and a (very) few of us use the roof and host wakey express there at 4pm.

Archived