NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

what a fantastic evening! thank you to everyone that came, it wwas a really good evening  and our guests all seemed to have a good time looking at the moon and jupiter.

cant wait to seee the piccies people took and those excellent pics kieran tookfrom parker road!

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely excellent evening. The turnout was great. Fantastic seeing the families and kids seeing Jupiter and the Moon for the first time down the various scopes.

I'd also like to thank Paul for all his preparations at the school for the event and everything he put into printing stuff out and generally making sure it went smoothly. Marvellous. 

Fantastic night, 

Watching peoples reactions when they saw Jupiter and the lunar craters was brilliant, I dont think I'll ever tire of it. What was wonderful about the questions I got asked was that they were the same ones I had last summer, a lot wanted to know more about the type of scopes used in astronomy due to the wide and excellent range of scopes on show but were a little self conscious about their knowledge gap and were afraid of asking "silly questions" but plenty of reassurance, explanation and opportunity to squint through the eyepiece seemed to unlock quite a tide of pent up interest and excitement.

I think it went brilliantly, only wish I could have stopped longer when the clouds cleared,    well done everyone.

Cheers Sam but it was a whole society event and one that went brilliantly. Wouldn't have worked if we all hadn't done our bit...

Here are two pics of the event, but Kieran has the rest of the snaps I took and is going to put some on the website.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/horburyastro/11824688976/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/horburyastro/11824688956/

Great AGM tonight. Looking forward to our Highburton First School event next Friday.

Lots of events planned for the coming months which is really good. It would be good to get some clear skies so I can get out with you chaps at Winscarr or somewhere.

Just a confirmation of our outreach event at Highburton First School on Friday. Starting 4.30 as discussed hopefully moving to the school field at 5.15 when hopefully it should just be starting to get dark and Jupiter should be in view weather permitting.

If you are coming and want directions please message me and I will pass these on.

was going to suggest we have an impromptu observing / imaging session at winscarr this weekend to try and catch a glimpse of the new super nova in M82 - but the forecast for the next week or so is rather glum. :embarrassed:

my fault, i just had a new UHC filter delivered...

Had a look at Huddersfield and it not showing as clear as brighouse so was just gonna go up top of brighouse for a few hours just to get some images of the supernova if things change I'll msg you as just didn't want to be up late with work and forcast not showing any clear patches till around 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No prob. Just checked forecast and looks like a few possible patches about 9ish. Tomorrow night might be a possibility for some more clear skies but Friday not looking too clever for the first school event, but will still go ahead with the inside part with the student.

No prob. Just checked forecast and looks like a few possible patches about 9ish. Tomorrow night might be a possibility for some more clear skies but Friday not looking too clever for the first school event, but will still go ahead with the inside part with the student.

Ok well let me know what skies look like over your way around 9 and will make a decision on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived