Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been up to Kielder this weekend again, and managed to get the Cannon onto one of their scopes to get this pic of Comet Jacques... Have to do some processing see if I can prove it :)

Excellent evening with Gary and Nick Howes...

post-22085-0-91585100-1410130610_thumb.j

Lunar 100 observing session - Wednesday 10th Sept 9pm onwards

A chance to work your way through as many of the Lunar 100 as possible during the full moon. I'll be bringing along a bunch of A3 maps and charts if you dont have a Lunar app on your phone.

due to very patchy weather forecasts meaning this was looking likely to not happen at all, we have a break in the weather for tomorrow night! i know its short notice, but it'll be great to have a meet up and have a lunar session.

Rather than us all traipsing down to Winscarr, I am trying to organise this event at Horbury academy or the parker road playing fields. The moon doesnt mind a bit of light pollution and it shouldnt make any difference to the viewing!!!

If the location of the meet changes, I'll let you all know on here / facebook etc - Hope to see a few of you there!

Lunar 100 observing session - Wednesday 10th Sept 9pm onwards

A chance to work your way through as many of the Lunar 100 as possible during the full moon. I'll be bringing along a bunch of A3 maps and charts if you dont have a Lunar app on your phone.

confirmed for Horbury Academy!!!

Myself and soupy will be there from just after 8pm, so please turn up and we'll have a good evening. if its cloudy we'll go for a pint at the pub down the road.

Was a very good evening!

Still not convinced the moon will survive when I become the 'Destroyer of world's' due its affects on the majority of my viewing. BUT it was extremely interesting actually searching out and viewing the features that I haven't really ever properly looked at before.

Plus I managed 47 of the lunar 100 in 2 hours...feeling quite smug. More importantly I will be finishing the list off at the next full moon and revisiting the more interesting ones at much higher mags if the viewing is good enough, x200 was as high as seeing would go tonight.

Did you have any more visitors?

I spent the evening with my daughters but would've joined you if not.

I put G's scope together last night for the first time.

It's very very big (it won't go to past 70 degrees in my lounge) very heavy and need's a bit more finishing off and tweaking to get it to work.

All looks good and all I can say is it's an absolute monster.

Build thread and pictures to follow.

Archived