WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, right, so this isnt a joke, ive checked its not April 1st, but ive got a clear sky alert for tomorrow night, and also monday night perhaps. So keep an eye on the forecast,dust your scopes off (if you havnt lost them by now :) ) and maybe, just maybe get ready for some observing :shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:

I woke just before 6am today and the skies looked quite nice.

Lots of wind about but it doesn't affect window astronomy so out came the little 9×50 finder and I headed for the North East tip of Virgo to catch a glimpse of Comet Catalina.

A nice bright fuzzy patch meant I'd found it just above a couple of mag 5-6 stars and in the hour I kept looking it did move noticeably.

It will be a lot higher in the sky in the coming weeks so I will revisit it if the skies are kind to us.

Arcturus was high in the sky waiting for its cosmic traveller to join it in the coming weeks which should be a good photo opportunity for those that way inclined.

Mars was loitering above Spica and Venus was as bright as ever low down on the eastern horizon.

Off for a cuppa now after my little session

Damian

Nice work catching Catalina Damian, imagine what it will look like in the monster scope!

I'm opposite to you Mark, tranquility, peace and quiet up here in Kielder, couldn't be further from the rat race if we tried! Some clear patches last night saw some very bright stars peeking through with inky black sky behind, even with the moon at first quarter. However for the first time ever I forgot my camera, so just had to make do with a quick scan with Mark one eyeballs when the clouds allowed. up early this morning but was cloudy, within and hour it had cleared some what but dawn was fast approaching with the sky turning a lovely blue, so no early morning comets for me.

Again within and hour it was throwing it down with very heavy rain, followed soon after by a heavy hail storm. Now it's pfectly clear again! Just can't believe this weather, it's warm enough now to be walking about in a t-shirt!

Nice work catching Catalina Damian, imagine what it will look like in the monster scope!

I'm opposite to you Mark, tranquility, peace and quiet up here in Kielder, couldn't be further from the rat race if we tried! Some clear patches last night saw some very bright stars peeking through with inky black sky behind, even with the moon at first quarter. However for the first time ever I forgot my camera, so just had to make do with a quick scan with Mark one eyeballs when the clouds allowed. up early this morning but was cloudy, within and hour it had cleared some what but dawn was fast approaching with the sky turning a lovely blue, so no early morning comets for me.

Again within and hour it was throwing it down with very heavy rain, followed soon after by a heavy hail storm. Now it's pfectly clear again! Just can't believe this weather, it's warm enough now to be walking about in a t-shirt!

Hope you get clear skies tonight Paul

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Hope you get clear skies tonight Paul

Cheers Chris but we are back in Hudds tonight, not checked weather for there yet, but I think it is forecast better than up here.

Hope you have gotten car sorted!

Just had Ryan round to drop some bits off.

Think he may have been impressed with my efforts not sure though!

Looking forward to getting it sorted and giving it a proper run out.

The forecast is looking good apart from the wind which is gonna be the biggest problem.

Just had Ryan round to drop some bits off.

Think he may have been impressed with my efforts not sure though!

Looking forward to getting it sorted and giving it a proper run out.

The forecast is looking good apart from the wind which is gonna be the biggest problem.

Think he might have just been a little bit impressed - it's not a bad effort ;)

Well, I really enjoyed Star Wars but felt lousy when I got home and went straight to bed.

Feel even worse this morning and I've only just crawled out of bed, which isn't like me.

Hope I feel better soon - got too much to do this week to have a virus.

Hope it isn't too windy for anyone planning a viewing trip, or even just a bit of back yard viewing :)

Think he might have just been a little bit impressed - it's not a bad effort ;)

Well, I really enjoyed Star Wars but felt lousy when I got home and went straight to bed.

Feel even worse this morning and I've only just crawled out of bed, which isn't like me.

Hope I feel better soon - got too much to do this week to have a virus.

Hope it isn't too windy for anyone planning a viewing trip, or even just a bit of back yard viewing :)

Hope you haven't got that bug that I got the other week. Get well soon

Hope you haven't got that bug that I got the other week. Get well soon

I hope so too - got too much on this week to stat with a virus.

I get paid tomorrow, and we've had to wait for this before I can start on Christmas shopping.

Unfortunately, Terry missed his pay day when he was off and doesn't get paid now until after Christmas.

Supermarket shop tomorrow, then town on Tuesday to get all the Christmas presents (not even started yet).

Back working until 5.30pm Wednesday and Thursday, and then Santa is meant to be coming!

Feel ill thinking about it lol - the plan is to not even move off the sofa today to try to get right for tomorrow.

I'll be right - can't afford not to be :)

Archived