Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to catch up with you earlier mate. Your scope is just unbelievable!! It shows your skills as a telescope builder are second to none! You want to be seriously proud of it mate. It's Awsome! Litrally cannot wait to have a go with it. It looks a hell of a lot bigger in the flesh as well lol. It's huge!! [emoji437][emoji108][emoji4]

Was really good to see you buddy.

Glad you like the scope and thanks for the compliments, it is a bit of a shock when you see it in person.

Looking forward to working with all the bits you brought me today to get the mods completed tomorrow.

The views will be something else though and it'll be a pleasure to show you them

Seeing your scope in "person" for the first time can be likened to the first time you see Saturn - the memory will always stop with you :)

Stunning scope Damian - you should be very proud of what you have achieved.

Hope you have a good day at it tomorrow and get it one step nearer completion.

p.s. I'm still going to get you some baubles to hang off it though.... ho ho ho lol ;)

You get used to the buttons, least I did on my android tablet, it also works well on my galaxy s5 phone. I always use 3 star alignment, I think that's the better one isn't it? Just spend time getting it all nice and level and you can track objects all night :)

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Seeing your scope in "person" for the first time can be likened to the first time you see Saturn - the memory will always stop with you :)

p.s. I'm still going to get you some baubles to hang off it though.... ho ho ho lol ;)

Maybe paint them acordingley to the planets?? Don't forget to get a nice one to represent the moon, he'll love that esp hehe

Maybe paint them acordingley to the planets?? Don't forget to get a nice one to represent the moon, he'll love that esp hehe

Funny you say that - Terry tagged me into this on FB, and I was going to buy these for myself, but I can't find them - gutted :(

post-39306-0-60202300-1450645444.jpg

They would be prefect. Wonder if I could sneak them onto my tree next year :)

I am going to buy some plain glass baubles and make my own - I have some glass paints I'm sure would be suitable.

It'll be a little project I can do - don't know how I'll do Saturn, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :)

Hi Eric

Glad you got the wifi and scope sorted

Did you use 3 star align on the iPad

I find the direction buttons a bit fiddly

On the iPhone will try the iPad mini next

Neil

Hi Neil, my RACI was not playing straight with me but fortunately I had left the RDF on the OTA so used that as finder, pleasantly suprised with its performance. I used the 3 bright star alignment yes, worked from West to East and had no problem at all. I don't have Internet capable phone so obviously used my iPad, I have read on SGL that it can be very ' fiddly' on iPhone, the iPad was easy and comfortable to use. The scope found everything I asked it to and pretty much all objects were near to central in my eyepieces.

To be honest, you can actually get away with not even using a finder scope, I played about and found if the 3 stars were bright enough and you centred them in the eyepiece just pressing enter & then Align worked, although I did go back to using the RDF just to make sure lol. The info on the object being viewed is excellent, also the audio description if you want to listen to it is really amazing.

ModenTechnology !!!!! We're will it go next lol ?

Eric

First real night out with my new scope, using ipad is fantastic, slew to a object and it gives you a audio description of what you are looking at !!, I am using goto on & off so as not to rely on it too much and still get my own bearings on the night sky in between.

The optics are far far better than my other scope and everything about the set up feels sturdy and stable.

Despite the moon up there I am still getting some good obs, including my first ever look at Uranus !!.

Its cold but I am out again in 5 minutes, the settings/alignment will stay on the ipad even though it is closed I just open up the portal and tap connect and everything is back as I left it, hoping to get some obs on Orion shortly despite as mentioned regarding moon!!.

Eric

Really glad to hear you're getting some time with your new scope Eric. Sounds really easy to use with the iPad once aligned.

Hopefully the weather continue so you can get plenty of practice in and the views of Orion shouldn't disappoint.

Damian

I am going to buy some plain glass baubles and make my own - I have some glass paints I'm sure would be suitable.

It'll be a little project I can do - don't know how I'll do Saturn, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :)

I'll have to get my sister on with those!

It'll be a little project I can do - don't know how I'll do Saturn, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :)

I'll have to get my sister on with those!

Saturn is something else so a fair compliment there Vicky thank-you

Should be out with it this week fully fettled after Ryans great efforts in producing the bits I needed.

Saturn is something else so a fair compliment there Vicky thank-you

Should be out with it this week fully fettled after Ryans great efforts in producing the bits I needed.

You'll be out very soon Damian - and compliments where they are due.

Your scope is a work of art as well as a demonstration of your craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Was thinking about your Louise with regards to the planetary glasswork, as I had been chatting to her about the possibility of creating some astronomically inspired designs when I saw her.

Don't know if her method of fusing the colours would only allow a flat design - you'll have to show her the photo and see what she thinks.

Astronomy is definitely becoming "cooler", so some abstract planetary designs would sell well I'm sure.

I'm going to see if I can pick up some cheap glass or plastic plain baubles and have a play to see what I can come up with :)

Jupiter is up at 11:15 tonight if anyone's still up then, I saw it last night about 12:30 and it looked very nice indeed. worth a look if your still up

I'm heading to bed as I feel dreadful.

Enjoy the views anyone who is still out with scopes or binos at that time.

Itching to have another go at capturing Jupiter as I haven't imaged it since 4th March - it was one of my first targets with my CCD camera and I've only had one go at it.

Need to get Ryan on with that one too with his fancy colour CCD :)

I'm heading to bed as I feel dreadful.

Enjoy the views anyone who is still out with scopes or binos at that time.

Itching to have another go at capturing Jupiter as I haven't imaged it since 4th March - it was one of my first targets with my CCD camera and I've only had one go at it.

Need to get Ryan on with that one too with his fancy colour CCD :)

Sleep well Vicky, i hope you havnt got what I had, i slept almost for 3 days the other week, slept all night then about 6 hours during each day. Get well soon

Thanks Neil - they're a bit pricey aren't they?

Will definitely have a go at making my own first lol

Thanks for finding them for me, but I can buy a decent set of EPs for that price hehe :)

Hi

$415 that's nearly a new scope or 4 eps

Neil

Archived