Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sheffield - good-bye light pollution ???

martindale

So, Sheffield council has decided to change all 68,000 street lights with new white LED lights, they say this will reduce the 'glow' over the city as less stray light will escape.

The lamps 20 last years or so as opposed to 5 years for the old discharge lamps, and also more efficient, cheaper to run.

It's also said that Sheffield at night will no longer be visible from the Peak District.

But will it really make any difference for us stargazers, I'm sure it will, but, to what extent, I'll have to wait and see.

Not so sure if it will make it much better at least orange sodium lights can be filtered out white leds cant

Andy

I can see your point Andy...interesting

The lamps themselves however, appear extremely directional, so stray light scatter should be virtually eliminated, maybe no filter will be needed.  :undecided:

I can see your point Andy...interesting

The lamps themselves however, appear extremely directional, so stray light scatter should be virtually eliminated, maybe no filter will be needed.  :undecided:

It would be cool if it does make a significant difference  :smiley:

Just submitted an enquiry to Plymouth City Council about their plans for street lighting.

They trialled it in the West Park area and received positive feedback from the general public apart from one old dear who said it wasn't as bright (?)

At least on their website they stated it was to reduce light pollution and not just save money/CO2 etc...

Very interested in whether LED's will make a difference to visual astronomy down'ere :)

Well I received a reply within ten minutes, but not what I wanted to read  :mad:

"As 70w lanterns fail in residential areas of the city they are being replaced by 24w LED lanterns, there is a plan to replace all lanterns in the city by LED lanterns, but not approved by councillors yet

As far as turning off street lighting in the small hours, there no plans to do this in the interest of public safety"
I think the average lifespan of the sodium lights is 5-10 years. The earth will freeze over before a bunch of councillors make a decision  :smiley:
Looks like I will still be putting all my stuff in the boot of the car for some time.

Surely a small step in the right direction is better than no step at all?

I have the led lights where I live and it makes no difference if you are observing residentially as they still shine into your garden but I can imagine if you are outside the dome of them then they will be better

Surely a small step in the right direction is better than no step at all?

You are of course correct.

I got slightly carried away with the idea of lower light pollution. I suppose even with LED lighting you will never beat getting out to a dark site.

I shouldn't complain really as Dartmoor is on my doorstep so I will stop moaning  :grin:

Dave

Our street lamps were replaced with the led version and I can tell you it makes a big difference. The lack of glow above the light is staggering co mpared to the sodium lamps. Our Council dims them down after 11pm as well.

The LED lights have been installed where I live and the change is brill :laugh:  so fingers crossed.

Any change for Sheffield has to be a good move, as a wagon driver i work a lot of late shifts and when driving back to base usually pass Sheffield in the M1, the glow at night from sodium lights it horrendous, leaves me wondering why people do astronomy in the city............lets hope it make a good difference

Our main streets have been done, but the others remain. The sky is still a terrible orange colour :(  I'm hoping once they are done the sky here will be reasonably dark. With the peak district right next door it will be even better there, though Manchester will remain as a blot on the horizon...

Our street lights are off all night. Incidentally they starter changing our old concrete ones today fora new style - presumably  LED ones.  Be a shame to see the old lamps go but should get rid of the orange glare

Northants has been changing over to low voltage white (but not LED) over the last two years. I'm told they also dim at night but my street is yet to be done :( so still waiting for final verdict.

I have noticed an improvement in overall darkness though over the last 4 years. Part of this due to a 50% switch off program and part I'm sure, is due to the gradual phasing in of new lighting.

Andromeda galaxy is now naked eye visible (just) from my town centre location, where it never used to be.

Doncaster Council are just a bunch of you know what. I've previously worked for them for a year and half and now there security guard but based with external company and all ive heard is cuts cuts cuts. Theres even talks on cutting my and 2 other partners jobs to save money due to in house staff having sia licenses. i wouldn't be all that bothered to be quiet honest.

We recently had our street lights changed to led and you can see the difference they make on a misty or foggy night as all the light is directed downwards and there is absolutely no light above the level of the lamp. I live on a three road cul de sac backing onto a golf course and it really has made a big difference.

Archived