Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any EQ8 reviews

symesie04

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally it seems to have been a success down under....

A couple of issues with the tripod, balancing and a software/ firmware outstanding issue with the ST-4 guide port.

Could you kindly elaborate on the issues with (i) the tripod and (ii) balancing you mention above please?

I have browsed through most of the 28 pages of chat but could not identify the specific issues.

Regards

Great can you post the jist of it after you have trailed through it Gina lol. Not sure i can be motivated to trail through 30 odd pages ;)

Not sure I can be either :D  But we will see :D

On the IIS thread:

Message #84 -there is a MAJOR problem with this mount. there needs to be a stop or bolt added to the main shaft of the pier because if you loosten the two locking bolts the main tub slips down and smacks on the mounts geared locking knob for attaching the mount head. it will bend the threaded shaft!!.

Message # 276 -Another thing - BALANCE. Has anyone else found this - the 2 motors sit well out on the east side of the mount and have a major impact on balance. Follow the balance instructions with the 2 axes horizontal is fine because the motors are balanced on either side of the RA axis. But as soon as you swing the weight bar off the horizontal position, gravity takes over in a big way. Perhaps this is Synta's way of loading the mount to be a bit east-heavy but the mis-distribution of weight is a lot more than just the usual "little bit east'

Message # 310 -If the scope is pointing west, be careful how far you engage the dec clutch lever. If you lower it too far and then go east it will foul on the motor/worm box.
Really horrible noises come out of it. This is another design fault.

Message # 381 - I'm sure can't be the only person to have noticed that even with the RA clutch lever fully locked the slightest nudge will move the telescope on that axis and exactly the same for the DEC axis for that matter too. This strikes me as potential real problem - has anyone done anything to mitigate it?

There was also an issue with the carry hand (interference? ) - must have missed it.....

Post #446

It has low PE, it can point too and with EQMOD, integrates perfectly into my remote observatory and is already sucessfully gathering scientific data more acurately than my previous fork mount. The best bit for me is simply to be able to open up the clutches and swing the scope to the best position to be able to change cameras, collimate etc, then slew back to target without loosing alignment. It comes in very handy.

The "issue" with the tripod tube slipping is referred to in the manual. They advise to place the weights under the tube before loosening the clamp bolts to prevent the tube from slipping to the ground. It does sound like something that could be easily missed....I guess the first time that you guillotine a toe or two off you will soon learn to watch out!! It doesn't sound like an optimal solution.....there should really be a couple of bolts tapped into the tube to act as a stop.

The pier/tripod does seem to be the worst part of the EQ8 system.  The mount seems to be superb with just a couple of relatively minor niggles plus a couple of issues which are being fixed by firmware updates.  Reviewers say it works very well with EQMOD and is extremely accurate.  Very low PE which is easily corrected by guiding.  It certainly looks very impressive :)  Can't wait to get mine :D

Personally, I'm not worried about the pier/tripod as I shan't be getting that - already have a nice sturdy concrete pier with a substantial pier head unit.  It was well over engineered for the NEQ6 so should be fine for the EQ8.  I think the top will be easy to adapt for the new mount.

I got one but my sx wheel failed and has been away for 2 months so no use at all.

I drilled/taped and put in a bolt to stop the tripod from dropping, no big deal.

The mount needs the polar scope hanging out to the side to balance it. Most of us bolt a bar there and hang dew heaters etc off that instead. Polar scopes are next to useless down here.

Message 310 is me, point west and lock dec then slew east. The lever hits the motor box. I got told to reajust the level position.

It's a good performing mount for the cash  but not easy to move to the field. The blumming tripod must have nuclear waste in it. It's like 35Kgs.

IMV the NEQ6 is not exactly portable let alone the EQ8.  I'm rather surprised anyone is contemplating humping the EQ8 around :D  Mine, when it comes, is going on a nice solid concrete pier :)  I have a hoist arranged in the scope room for lifting and lowering heavy scopes/rigs and the occasional mount.  Think it should be able to cope with the EQ8 :D

I'm booked in for the 2nd batch of UK deliveries, due around the end of the month it seems - I'm almost counting the days :D

Sadly many of us have to travel to dark sites and if we want to do some accurate tracking have no option but to lug some cumbersome equipment with us. The trick is to find a site where the setup location is very close to (if not next to) where you park the car. 

I wonder given the one or two slight design flaws and weight of the mount if the way to go might be to by the head on its own and then add a third party tripod?

• 2 weeks later...

There is also mention of incorrect GoTo-ing, warranting a  firmware upgrade by the manufacturer.

On the IIS thread:

Message #84 -there is a MAJOR problem with this mount. there needs to be a stop or bolt added to the main shaft of the pier because if you loosten the two locking bolts the main tub slips down and smacks on the mounts geared locking knob for attaching the mount head. it will bend the threaded shaft!!.

Message # 276 -Another thing - BALANCE. Has anyone else found this - the 2 motors sit well out on the east side of the mount and have a major impact on balance. Follow the balance instructions with the 2 axes horizontal is fine because the motors are balanced on either side of the RA axis. But as soon as you swing the weight bar off the horizontal position, gravity takes over in a big way. Perhaps this is Synta's way of loading the mount to be a bit east-heavy but the mis-distribution of weight is a lot more than just the usual "little bit east'

Message # 310 -If the scope is pointing west, be careful how far you engage the dec clutch lever. If you lower it too far and then go east it will foul on the motor/worm box.
Really horrible noises come out of it. This is another design fault.

Message # 381 - I'm sure can't be the only person to have noticed that even with the RA clutch lever fully locked the slightest nudge will move the telescope on that axis and exactly the same for the DEC axis for that matter too. This strikes me as potential real problem - has anyone done anything to mitigate it?

There was also an issue with the carry hand (interference? ) - must have missed it.....

I hope to have something to post before too long :)  My EQ8 is currently being packed at FLO's and I'm expecting arrival here tomorrow.  The aluminium plate to temporarily modify my pier adapter came this morning (a replacement 250mm diameter x 10mm mild steel disc is on order - this will provide a better solution).

I have a new EQ8 (one month old) and I find it excellent for the C14 fastar and the SX M25C camera. It's massive mount that will handle big loads. It's also whisper quite in slewing and very responsive to the direction buttons. It's built like a tank.

The only bug I have with this mount it is its 3-star alignment. It's does not hold its pointing accuracy afterwards. Yahoo Skywatcher EQ8 group are also having the same problem.

It seems when you do a 3-star alignment and read the Az and El and then make adjustments until the MELaZ and MELeL reads >8' of arc, when you GOTO a new object afterwards be that an NGC, IC Messier or a star, that target is way off. Nowhere near the centre of the FOV. In my case with the C14 that's 2 x 1.5 Deg. FOV so yeah, I do have a bitch.  As a matter of fact, I get better pointing out of my Titan 50 and EQ6 than this mount.

However, as for the EQ8 RA tracking, I can do 10' unguided exp. on the Cel. Eq.with this mount and the C14. This tracking is identical to the Titan 50 which cost me almost twice as much.

Other this alignment storm in a teacup, anyone contemplating an EQ8, should get one. You won't be disappointed.

Anyone who has or had this alignment bug in an EQ8, I'd like to hear from you. So would the guys on that Yahoo group.

cheers,

James

That bug won't bother me as I use AstroTortilla to get me on target - works very well on my current NEQ6 so expecting the same with the EQ8 :)

am I right in thinking your getting yours anyday now? if so how exciting! Would be interesting to see if you concur with the above though, i.e without using AT. I guess for most imagers its not that essential as you plan what target you want to image, go to it, and track using 10 min unguided subs, nice! Still its a glitch Sktwatcher should sort it out really. Some imagers go for 2-3 targets in one night in one channel then capture the 2-3 targets in another channel the next clear night, in which case this glitch would be very anoying.

Chris

am I right in thinking your getting yours anyday now? if so how exciting! Would be interesting to see if you concur with the above though, i.e without using AT. I guess for most imagers its not that essential as you plan what target you want to image, go to it, and track using 10 min unguided subs, nice! Still its a glitch Sktwatcher should sort it out really. Some imagers go for 2-3 targets in one night in one channel then capture the 2-3 targets in another channel the next clear night, in which case this glitch would be very anoying.

Chris

Yes, you are quite right Chris :)  It's already left FLO's and on it's way to me - scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  And yes, I'm very excited :D  I agree that the glitch must be sorted out.

Archived