NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What is all this Delos fuss about?

emadmoussa

I think I am simply an " ist."

The thing is Imad we cannot explain to you, it is like explaining a taste of something to someone, you can only say something if is bitter or sweet etc.. whether its nice or not is up to whoever is eating it  :smiley:

But in the end you have to try for yourself and make your own decision if you want tangible proof  :shocked:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I am simply an " ist."

The thing is Imad we cannot explain to you, it is like explaining a taste of something to someone, you can only say something if is bitter or sweet etc.. whether its nice or not is up to whoever is eating it  :smiley:

But in the end you have to try for yourself and make your own decision if you want tangible proof  :shocked:

Agreed. You make your case convincingly.

Shaun,

You have as many Delos's or maybe even more than anyone on the site, even I am green with envy, and a little bit of black too (soot from the wood burner).  You are clearly over the moon with you eyepieces and I know why in a few cases as I have or have had them too. You just can't tell people how good these are they have to see for theirself. I know there have been a few on sale second hand but have you seen or read anything saying what rubbish they are? I just wish they were a bit cheaper, I would buy all of them.

It is a to some degree, unless your nuts like me, silly spending such money if you own a scope that is F10 or slower. I am going to do a head to head with the 41mm Panoptic and my 40mm SWA next, now the only scopes they will work in are my LX and my GSO 150mm RC, that is F9, I think I am going to have my work cut out to see a massive difference. I may be able to get an Areo 40mm to include in it too.

Alan. 

Alan,

I did purchase my TV's knowing at somepoint I will get a second scope that will be faster than F10.

I simply do not want to spend further cash on a second set of eyepieces, this point of view makes the TV 's not so expensive :smiley:

I am going to do a head to head with the 41mm Panoptic and my 40mm SWA next, now the only scopes they will work in are my LX and my GSO 150mm RC, that is F9, I think I am going to have my work cut out to see a massive difference. I may be able to get an Areo 40mm to include in it too.

Alan. 

Looking forward to your review, i'm sure it'll be a very interesting reading for many of us.

I think you really need to see for yourself Emad. Some really good advice was posted on here some time ago by Michael Wilkinson and that was that the time to upgrade was when you can see a difference in performance that matters to you. If you don't see any difference then stick with what you have  :smiley:

Eyepieces are a pretty personal thing and what works for one person may do nothing for someone else. The Hyperions are good quality eyepieces that will work very well with the scopes you have. If you get an F/5 or faster scope then you may decide that they do not do so well and you might want to look at other options.

I

I just wanted to thankyou for reminding me that it was michael who said that. It's probably one of the best pieces of astro advice that's ever been given on sgl and its stopped me doing so much needless buying. 

Emad if you can't imagine your eyepieces being better then you obviously see no wrong in them. that's fine it means they are doing their job. When you stop noticing the sky and start noticing your eyepieces that's the time to change

Stop, guys! You are making me blush ;)

I just got my first Delos (8mm), on a par with the XWs I have, no big difference with the XF 8.5mm, but wider FOV makes it a bit nicer. Haven't used it on anything really challenging yet, but certainly a step up from the Radian 8 I used to have.

Shaun I'd love to try out one of your Delos eyepieces in my 10" newt next time you make it to the darksite as it an F4.7 & the Hyperions really do struggle around the edge. I could cope with them in the 8" as it wasn't so bad but the 10" really does suffer bad. Not that I'll be ale to afford any mind :p

I did try out one of Simon's Televue's but I can't think for the life of me what it was but the views I were getting were quite simply stunning. Saying that I did go to the site last weekend with my 80ED & the Hyperions worked very well with that much better than the 2" SWA eyepiece as the background was looking quite washed out unlike the Hyperions which seemed to have a nice inky black background even with the moonlight with no distorted edges & the stars were looking nice & crisp too.

Shaun I'd love to try out one of your Delos eyepieces in my 10" newt next time you make it to the darksite as it an F4.7 & the Hyperions really do struggle around the edge. I could cope with them in the 8" as it wasn't so bad but the 10" really does suffer bad. Not that I'll be ale to afford any mind :p

I did try out one of Simon's Televue's but I can't think for the life of me what it was but the views I were getting were quite simply stunning. Saying that I did go to the site last weekend with my 80ED & the Hyperions worked very well with that much better than the 2" SWA eyepiece as the background was looking quite washed out unlike the Hyperions which seemed to have a nice inky black background even with the moonlight with no distorted edges & the stars were looking nice & crisp too.

Next time we meet up Tich you are more than welcome to try them out, I will have them all with me :smiley:

Im so glad all but one of my scopes are very long focal length, and i have zero need for these TV things (nothing to do with being poorer than a church mouse) My circle T`s suit me very well indeed

Used to have two Circle-T orthos. Sharp indeed, but they kept banging into my glasses. The resulting vibrations rather negated their optical performance.  The 25mm was very good however, and I did at some point wish I hadn't sold it.

I've never owned a descent eyepiece and possibly never will as A.P. seems to be chewing up my money just fine (thats astro photography not aperture priority estwing ;) ). I did however have the pleasure of looking through a bit of Calvins glass at Hersty and I gotta say............I really do get it now :D.

As said before, the differences become more apparent as the focal ratio gets faster. It also depends how fussy your eyes are. I had 13mm & 17mm Hyperions for a while (still have a 3.5mm) and they were good in an 8" f/6, worse in a 6" f/5, and I didn't like it much in a 10" f/4.7. What you get with Televue, Pentax and the like, is optimum quality of view with pretty much any telescope you choose to use. The faster the scope, the bigger the benefit.

In specifics, compared to Hyperions and Revelation Plossls, my Pentax EP's (same as Delos, near as makes no difference) in my fast scopes, they give tighter stars across more of the filed of view. Star colour is better. Light scatter is reduced on bright objects. I spend most of my time looking for very faint things on the edge of detection. These are simply easier to see with the premium glass. I don't know if the view is actually brighter or if there is simply more contrast but I can quite easily see the difference and I know my eyes are not the most sensitive when it comes to subtle differences between eyepieces.

There is also some measure of economic security in buying the best first time round. (I borrowed the Hyperions from my brother in law along with some other eyepieces) Some time in the future I will get a larger faster Dobsonian and I am quite confident I won't have to upgrade my eyepieces to be able to use it.

Next time we meet up Tich you are more than welcome to try them out, I will have them all with me :smiley:

I look forward to it :-)

I'm off up there tonight but not sure if its going to be worth it. Still it beats watching Saturday night dross on the tv.

I look forward to it :-)

I'm off up there tonight but not sure if its going to be worth it. Still it beats watching Saturday night dross on the tv.

I think its going to be cloudy tonight Tich so I am going to stay at home. I am sure we will catch up soon enough :smiley:

I still haven't had the chance to try my terminagler out properly as yet :shocked:

A year ago I purchased a 3-6 mm Nagler zoom, after reading many good things about it.

It gave brilliant views, was tiresome to use, with difficult eye placement, could not stay at the eyepiece for long.

One month ago I purchased a 3.5 and 4.5 mm Delos.

They give brilliant views, easy to use, easy eye placement, no limit as to how long I could view for.

Just ordered the 6 mm Delos.

I will never use the 3-6 zoom again......Simples.

A year ago I purchased a 3-6 mm Nagler zoom, after reading many good things about it.

It gave brilliant views, was tiresome to use, with difficult eye placement, could not stay at the eyepiece for long.

One month ago I purchased a 3.5 and 4.5 mm Delos.

They give brilliant views, easy to use, easy eye placement, no limit as to how long I could view for.

Just ordered the 6 mm Delos.

I will never use the 3-6 zoom again......Simples.

which in a nutshell is the reason why 'which is best' threads need to be taken with a pinch of salt until you experience the eyepiece for yourself. I personally feel the 6-3mm nagler zoom is one of the best eyepieces in my case and would not be without it. I find eye placement easy and 50 degrees is more than enough field even at 300-500x when observing doubles / planets

I think its going to be cloudy tonight Tich so I am going to stay at home. I am sure we will catch up soon enough :smiley:

I still haven't had the chance to try my terminagler out properly as yet :shocked:

Well I'm back home now as it was indeed clouded out but it weren't a wasted journey as I managed to catch up with friends.

which in a nutshell is the reason why 'which is best' threads need to be taken with a pinch of salt until you experience the eyepiece for yourself. I personally feel the 6-3mm nagler zoom is one of the best eyepieces in my case and would not be without it. I find eye placement easy and 50 degrees is more than enough field even at 300-500x when observing doubles / planets

I'm much the same - when I need that power I reach for the Nagler Zoom. It also has a place in my travel kit, where bringing my EP case isn't an option - I only have 3 eyepieces in there and a 1.25" diagonal - the 25mm TV plossl, the 10.5mm TV plossl and the Nagler Zoom.

Back to the original question, it is really up to you if the performance gains are worth the cost. If the performance gains are not worth it to you, don't bother with upgrading :). To me, they are, otherwise I'd have a case full of cheaper eyepieces.

Last night was a good example of differing eyepiece results.Not the best conditions,but useable none the less.My poor 10mm  Luminos was surrounded by a "sea of black & green",sitting there looking hopeful.The Luminos performed very well on the DSO I chose and on M82 it excelled.The nearest Delos I have is 8mm,so my comparison is not really apples to apples.The Luminos showed M82 a bit better.....but was it a function of exit pupil,apparent contrast because of the magnification difference or what?Here is what I am beggining to see.My other eyepieces work better on certain objects,some of the time.When I use the Delos (& other TV) they provide better views consistently over a broad range of targets all the time.If I had a 10mm Delos (as is suggested) I feel it would have bested my Luminos in everything-in small and large amounts,depending on the test.However I have a lot of respect for this 10mm Luminos,it provides great views-and at $80.00!?That is cheap.It easily showed the Veil Neb,no filter-as in no question....there is the Veil with the 10mm...But when I am ready I will order a 10mm Delos,as I do love them & the view they provide.

I have a Pentax XW 10mm and XL 7mm.  They are lovely, lovely EPs, decent eye relief and optically right on the button.  I also have a couple of Baader orthoscopics 9 and 5mm.  they are diddy little things, narrow field of view and zilch eye relief.  If I want to look at Jupiter to see how pretty it looks, or to show visitors I get out a Pentax.  If I want to observe the smallest planetary details possible then it's the orthoscopics.  With high mag planetary observing sometimes less is more.

I have a cheap UWA 30mm Moonfish.  In my 12" F5 dob the peripheries are a bit of a disaster area although but when I use it with a 10" SCT it happily matches my 27mm Panoptic or 17mm Nagler and I enjoy using it.

The point being the design, the useage and the observer are more important than the outright optical quality.  However, to quote Aldo Gucci, quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.  

Archived