Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6 inch refractor: A sense of scale

John

blimey John that is really massive. I suppose the heavy objective helps with the eyepiece position? just for a laugh you should go bird watching with it sometime. imagine that sticking out of the hide :grin:

I reckon they would think I was one of the old duck shooters - they had long cannon like guns mounted on the front of punts  :smiley:

The objective end of these large refractors is usually the heavy bit so adding some to the other end will help centralise the C of G a bit. I'm going to add a 50xx RACI finder shortly and the Istar 2" diagonal is a bit heavier than most, which helps. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just thought I'd post a couple of snaps of my Istar 6" F/12 refractor in case anyone is considering such a beast scope  :smiley:

Sorry about my somewhat glazed expression in the 1st pic but I'd just scurried across the room and hefted a 34 lb 6 1/2 foot tube onto my lap in the 10 secs that my self timer gives me so I forgot to smile :rolleyes2:

The 2nd pic shows my 102mm F/6.5 Vixen and 120mm F/7.5 Skywatcher ED refractors for comparison.

These big, long refractors are a somewhat crazy obsession :rolleyes2:  :grin:

Judging by the 2nd picture, If you decide to knock the room into 2.. You have a readily available ceiling prop.  :grin: 

That's an awesome scope.

love the fact there is an obsy on his balcony as well.

John,

off the wall idea - how about looking in to industrial lighting and speaker mounts - light weight ally truss style piers for mounting large speaker and lighting systems at gigs / events. sure it wouldnt take much fabrication to enable the syktee mount to be bolted to the top. basically just an ally plate with a hole in it welded to the top.

got to be cheaper than buying something astro related. maybe worth calling a couple of event companies like Zig zag lighting and see what they can offer.

got me thinking now about why we dont see more aluminium truss piers - rust proof and they are inherently strong and rigid.

probably has a 3 foot pit dug around the tripod to stand in :evil:

but that is bloomin lovely.

Hehe - thats what i need to do with my somewhat smaller f10. Point it anywhere near the zenith and my head needs to be at knee level! Be interesting to see what your solution is John - I was wondering myself about whether I could fit my Azeq6 some sort of berlebach/other wooden tripod. Might see if they come up second hand at all as I should really be spending anymore cash though!

Have you had any probkems with it in the wind the last few nights? Mine is so heavy (plus I'm in a relatively sheltered garden) that I haven't really noticed much effect.

Have you had any probkems with it in the wind the last few nights? Mine is so heavy (plus I'm in a relatively sheltered garden) that I haven't really noticed much effect.

I've not had a chance to use it during the windy nights lately Mark but I guess it could suffer if things are really gusty.

Neil English tested one of the Istar scopes with it's dew shield removed to make it less of a target for the wind and to cut down on the moment arm vibrations too. Personally though I'd feel the objective lens to be a little exposed like that !

Archived