Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Esprit-80 and Esprit-100 Incoming

FLO

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Steve - just read the order completed email :)  Thought it was dispatched yesterday - now I know I needn't wait in - must pop out and get some milk :D 

At least I can use tonight's forecast clear sky (if we get it) to set up the EQ8 :)

Looking forward to the unboxing and first light reports :)

Peter...

It's here :)  And unpacked - and it's a beauty :)  In a similar superb transport case much like the EQ8 except that instead of the lid lifting right off, this one is hinged.  Seems to me that Skywatcher have moved themselves up into a totally new league :)  This stuff looks really professional.  The focuser is very similar to the Baader SteelTrack - maybe even better - it's super smooth :)  The cap on the dew shield is a screw-on metal one - not your usual plastic.  The mounting foot is really solid and should be a lot better that tube rings.  It is attached to the dovetail bar with two screws and two options have been provided 1/4" UNF and 3/8" UNF by way of a inserts like you see on tripod heads.

I'll post more details with photos in a dedicated thread shortly.

Seems to me that Skywatcher have moved themselves up into a totally new league :)  This stuff looks really professional. 

It is good you noticed that and felt it worth mentioning. 

Around two years ago Skywatcher said they were going to move up-market. I don't think we said anything at the time because we knew it would ruffle some feathers but the Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT, EQ8 and the Esprit triplet refractors are evidence of this. Actually the first indicators were probably the Skymax-180 and the 190MN. 

These are good times for us amateur astronomers  :glasses2:

Ok ok...  stop rubbing it in you guys... :p

:grin:  Its torture...  I got the day off to be home for a delivery that ain't happening :sad:

Hehe.. no, its nice to see the reactions, I can feel your excitement.. still kids at heart :laugh:

Will it be December?... (still.. she did say birthday AND Xmas pressie :rolleyes:.. there's hope)  at least we'll know how well it performs by then. Get imaging.. lets see some results

Yep it would be interesting to see some corner crops and b-mask patterns in R,G and B (focused on G).

Yes.. if it's good it could be a triple shooter setup for the price of a Tak.. ay Rob :grin: .. (wishful thinking.. one would be nice.) :tongue:

Talking of B Masks.. I asked Keith Morris about getting one made yesterday.. can someone measure the dew shield diameter please?

The 100mm F5.5 Esprit APO looks a very interesting telescope.

Does anybody know if the 3" focuser has any screw threads available so equipment

can be directly attached without using the 2" or 1.25" adapters?

John

I shall be imaging with mine at the first available opportunity :)  I shall be very interested in how long unguided exposures I can get without noticeable eggy stras on the EQ8 :D

Anyone else got the Esprit 80ED with EQ8 and Atik 460EX mono camera (or better) ?

I shall be imaging with mine at the first available opportunity :)  I shall be very interested in how long unguided exposures I can get without noticeable eggy stras on the EQ8 :D

Anyone else got the Esprit 80ED with EQ8 and Atik 460EX mono camera (or better) ?

Ha ha.. anyone else apart from you and John got one!!

It is good you noticed that and felt it worth mentioning. 

Around two years ago Skywatcher said they were going to move up-market. I don't think we said anything at the time because we knew it would ruffle some feathers but the Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT, EQ8 and the Esprit triplet refractors are evidence of this. Actually the first indicators were probably the Skymax-180 and the 190MN. 

These are good times for us amateur astronomers  :glasses2:

Yes, I really do feel that :)  From the difference between the old Evostar 80ED and the Esprit you would think they were different makes.  Same with the NEQ6 and EQ8.  To say I'm very impressed would be typical British understatement :D

I shall be imaging with mine at the first available opportunity :) I shall be very interested in how long unguided exposures I can get without noticeable eggy stras on the EQ8 :D

Not exactly, when my Esprit arrives in the next batch it will be Esprit 80 / HEQ5 / Atik 428 ex OSC.

I can't complain really, this will still be an amazing set-up

Can't wait

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The mounting foot is really solid and should be a lot better that tube rings.

The only worry is balancing when you have camera/filterwheel/OAG/flattener etc. attached. I had to switch from the foot to rings on my equinox 80 to balance correctly.

Archived