Hi guys and girls, newbie right here (with a story)

ikon113

Hi everyone,

Where to start then ? Ermm... So I'm Scott I'm 26 and from South East London. I originally got into a bit of stargazing / astrophotography back end of last year as I am designing a board game and needed an original image of a full moon, so I got a Celestron 127 and borrowed a friends Nikon camera. Me being me done some basic research and then just went for it, Goggle'd a fair bit to try and find the best locations for astrophotography and decided on Isle of Sheppie (within an hour of home). I took some ok pictures and went on my merry way developing my game. I enjoyed that night so much I went out a few more times and found Jupiter, the great Orion nebula, and some star clusters ect with the telescope and have been going round Kent with a Nikon D7000 that I brought taking some cool (well I think they are) pictures of landscapes, castles, flowers ect.

So now... As you guys and girls can see I have been looking at space and photography since back then, a while ago I came across this site and registered up only visiting once or twice to browse. Now I think I'm ready to become a member of the community to learn and share knowledge and potentially join in on some stargazing nights if any are local enough to me. In particular the next thing I would be interested in is revisiting the moon but with stitching in mind so I can make an even higher quality image. I would also like to take a picture of Jupiter in as best quality as possible however I have not researched into that yet.

Yes I talk a lot hence with a story in title

Anyway that’s me ;)

Comments ? Questions ? Go for it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum Scott,

something to consider which may interest you is the Moore Moon Marathon which is in progress at the moment. The details are on the Sky at Night section of the BBC website. It's a list of observable features on the moon all differing in difficulty - but what it does do is get you used to the different features and the geography of the lunar surface. We've just past the New Moon so there's not much moon to see at the moment, but in the coming couple of weeks it will become more visible. I don't have the details of times of moon rise and set to hand so you might need to look that up. But, very often, some features of the moon are best observed in the earlier or later moon phases as they cast shadow across the surface and help give things a bit more definition.

Good luck with it all,

clear skies

MMM

Welcome to the forum Scott,

something to consider which may interest you is the Moore Moon Marathon which is in progress at the moment. The details are on the Sky at Night section of the BBC website. It's a list of observable features on the moon all differing in difficulty - but what it does do is get you used to the different features and the geography of the lunar surface. We've just past the New Moon so there's not much moon to see at the moment, but in the coming couple of weeks it will become more visible. I don't have the details of times of moon rise and set to hand so you might need to look that up. But, very often, some features of the moon are best observed in the earlier or later moon phases as they cast shadow across the surface and help give things a bit more definition.

Good luck with it all,

clear skies

MMM

Thank you very much mountainmadman, I will defiantly look into this.

Thank you everyone else for making me feel welcome ;)

Hi Scott and welcome to SGL, you have obviously gained quite a bit of knowledge already, Astrophotography, however, is an art on its own, often known here as going over to the dark side. A copy of Steve Richards book... "Making Every Photon Count" see FLO top of page, has been an invaluable help to many on this forum. Jupiter has been well photographed, as you would expect, but there has been some outstanding efforts taken with a 127, such as those taken by James F spring readily to mind, to give you every encouragement, enjoy your Astronomy :)

Archived