Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Equipment storage + transport

Hello all, just recently purchased a Skywatcher 130P to start me off on my new-found hobby, and I've had some good fun so far just exploring the sky on different nights. I have a few questions regarding storage and transport of my telescope though-

1) I currently leave my telescope set up in one of my spare rooms as I'm fortunate enough to have the space and to be able to easily carry it outside without having to dismantle it. Is it OK to keep your telescope set up like this at all times, or is it advisable to break in down into telescope/mount/tripod and store separately to ensure there isn't constant stress on the rig? (bearing in mind that I've balanced it as correctly as I can)

2) As there are some excellent dark zones near to me, and as the Brecon Beacons are only a short drive away, I will be taking my telescope out on some trips during the winter. Are there any do's and don't's for transporting a telescope? Aside from the obvious "don't drop it!" :)

Many thanks!

Storing the scope fully assembled at all times is absolutely fine, no problem at all. On transporting it, if you have the original box all well and good. Otherwise I wrap the tube up in a heavy blanket and make sure it's wedged in so that it doesn't roll about, usually place the tripod against it, which on my scope is quite heavy (EQ5). A lot of bumbing around may mean you will need to check the collimation on a regular basis, or just do a star check on it when you get it out and tweek as necessary.

My 200p goes on the back seat of the car - with the seatbelts on, just in case I do an emergency stop.

Cheap bedding, quilts, pillows etc. make excellent packing for Astro gear. Tesco had pillows for £2, which is cheaper than buying foam in the market.

I used to grequently transport a scope similar to a 200P but shorter FL, so more prone to collimation loss.

Using similar transport methods to PorkyB I never had any real issues.

A definite vote for Geordie's suggestion of an ali case for eyepieces and bits.

Hi Johnny,

welcome to the forum. Plus one from me for the cheap duvet option! If it's an aluminium case for eyepieces you're after, a favourite for some people on here are Maplins cases. In recent months, they have had some on offer. I bought one about 6 months ago and it's probably the best 'accessory' I've bought. Definitely worth it protect the EP's, but worth shopping around a bit too for somewhere that has them on offer.

Hope this helps,

MMM

Hi and Welcome,

I'm a few miles up the road from you, so if you need any help send me a PM.

Cheap double quilt from Tesco and some straps should keep it nice and wrapped. I use a cargo net in my Citreon which stops the 150p from rolling around. The mount I wrap in a single quilt and put it behind the front seats covered with a heavy rubber boot mat, theres no way it can move.

Have you tried Craig Y Nos, Crai reservoir, Craig Y Llyn, Glynncorrwg Mountain Bike Centre, Pendryn, yet?

There is also some Astronomy classes being run from this month at Craig Y Nos by Sawnsea University through Dace. The lecturer is Ian Glendenning.

Regards

David

I did a search for Storage as I too was concerned about leaving the scope fully assembled (130pm), mainly whether over time sat in the same spot would do any harm or not, good to know I can safely do it so thanks for the responses above :)

As for transport I saw a good tip here or somewhere else: Get a Cricket Bag and line it out with a duvet or blanket inside and voila...safe transportation! You can grab a cheap on on eBay for less than £20, you can even get ones with wheels for easier moving around!

mountainmadman - thanks for the tip, I'll keep my eye on those cases in Maplins. I had a quick look around online but based on reviews it seems those ones are by far the best value for money! I'm in no immediate rush so I'll keep looking at them to see if they happen to come on offer before Xmas.

dcwales2012 - might take you up on the offer if I get stuck with something! I've had a few decent viewing nights over the past 2 weeks or so and still getting to grips with anything. What is the light pollution like by you?

Bathurst - funny you should mention using a cricket bag as I was thinking of looking for a large sized canvas bag and lining it with a duvet, but I couldn't for the life of me think where I could get that sized bag from - didn't think of a cricket bag, cheers!

This is how I will be transporting my new scope, supported by two sturdy package foam blocks. I used this system with my previous scope, all be it, across the back seat and seat belted in, but this feels pretty solid, so no rolling (I hope).

For storage in the house, I keep it on the mount and under a dust cover (an old clear plastic airport, complementary ski baggage bag).

post-22819-0-97538800-1380045089_thumb.j

John - The closest and best dark sky location to you will be Glyncorrwg Ponds. The site is always open, and designated a Dark Skies Site.

LP in my location is hit and miss, depends on how much after glow I get from the ever increasing open cast coal mines that are springing up in the distance. But seeing is far far better than in Neath, or Neath Valley.

DC

Sent from my Radar C110e using Tapatalk

Archived