NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie saying hello

rikroe666

About a year and a half ago i was rummaging through my mums loft for something(shes scared of heights so wont go up there) i found an old tasco refractor my dad bought me when i was very young, i think it was 30-40mm :laugh: anyway i went streight out and bought a skywatcher 130 on an eq2 mount and since then ive been hooked, i think im on my 6th telescope now :grin: . So Thought i would finally say hello after looking on here for lots of great advice on various things over the year and a half ive been star gazing.

Hi rikroe666 and welcome to SGL.

Was/is the Tasco 4ETE (40x 40mm on a small chrome table tripod). If "Yes!" I remember my father buying one for me when he asked what would I like when I was about 14-15 years old. I never the first light looking at Mizar & Alcor in UMa and seeing Jupiters equatorial belts and Jovian moons, Saturns rings and then ultimately the Moon and sunspot projection. When I was about 16 years old my late grand-father and I modified the tripod with some rubber feet, chrome pipe, thick hose to extend the legs and chain (to act as a leg spreader). I owned it until I was about 21 years old and then gave it away to a pub landlords 8 year old son. I do miss it! :grin:

After owning several 'cheap' scopes in the past, I now own a TeleVue Ranger, Celestron C6/SCT and a modified Meade ETX105 as well as two pairs of binoculars (Sony 7x50's & Revalation Astro 20x80's). :grin:

hi philip not sure what model it was but i will have a look next time im there, i dont think it is what you are describing, i dont think it was that good, infact i dont think it was much better than just looking with my eyes ha. After i sold my s/w 130 i realy regretted it but i was offered twice what i payed, i ended up buying the helios 130 for £30(shorter tube but same focal length using a lens after the secondary mirror) and liked it more than the skywatcher as it was more stable on the mount. then i bought a few more to sell on so i could buy my omni xlt 120 refractor and revelation 20x80 binoculars. Im looking for my next scope now, maybe a skyliner 200 or a fast newtonian as ive got a couple of webcams i want to try out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived