Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for a rational explanation for 5 satellite like lights moving from the triangulum constellation?

Looking for a rational explanation for 5 satellite like lights moving from the triangulum constellation?

I feel really silly posting this but it was quite weird there was 5 satellite like lights that appeared to being come from the triangulum constellation, they came in to naked eye visibility & went out of naked eye visibility at which point I tracked them with my binoculars as they travelling in a downwards & south direction. They were sort of in a straight line. From Stellarium I've found out Intercosmos 24 was around the region of sky around the time(I guess it was 1:30am ishBST UTC/GMT +1 hour) but why did I see 5 lights & I didn't think Intercosmos 24 reached naked eye visibility? They were very much like satellites I've seen but I've never seen 5 at once move same speed, direction & so close looking to each other. It was quite cloudy but not really in that region, the star have been twinkling quite a bit so see conditions aren't very good though it was quite clear in that region & they were quite defined. There is an airport near region I see planes take off from there as an orange light then they turn white & flash though these lights where white without flashing only dimmed out of naked eye visibility. Honestly I'm not trying to sound like a ufo nut. But I honestly did see 5 lights that I'm struggle to explain.

Here a quick drawing I did:

It not accurate but I'm finding it hard to describe. I think the the lights took up a smaller space than this but its similar:

the5lights_zps0d747049.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife and I saw something very similar a couple of years ago. There were five or more and appeared to move into formation and move off SW to NE. It was about 1am and we were watching for meteors. Definitely not Chinese lanterns, and "appeared" to be too high for flying birds. I know appearances can be deceptive, esp at night but I'm not convinced.

It's nice to hear someone else has seen something similar.

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you, I'm glad you guy's took me seriously I was worried you'd all think I was some crazy nutter or someone trying to make up ufo stories.

I hadn't actually thought about flight of ducks / geese but I don't think it was. I thought about Chinese lanterns though usually with binoculars you can see the flicker of the flame & the lower part more lit than the top due to the flames positioning.

There are military satellites that *fly* in groups. Maybe what you saw was some of them.

There must be loads up there that we know nothing about!

Cheers

Ant

A group of satellites seems likely as they did seem look like what I think of as satellite behaviour, so would look to be close in the sky?

I did ask this question to http://www.astronomy...ike-lights.html & I heard a similar thing that it could have been a "satellite constellation or array" & that "A-train" Satellite array is presently five satellites: http://en.wikipedia....constellation)"

One reason for satellites to fly in formation like this is if they want to create a large, synthetic aperture for radar imaging, similar to synthetic aperture radio telescopes. Rather than having a single, huge dish, combine data from multiple receivers to achieve the same resolution more economically.

A few years back I saw a triangle of satellites, couldn't quite believe my eyes. Looked it up afterwards and found out it was NOSS - see this link.

As Michael says above, there are good reasons why surveillance (scientific or military) satellites might fly in formation (a bit more info here on Wikipedia). It's amazing what you see up there when you look!

Thank you, I'm glad you guy's took me seriously I was worried you'd all think I was some crazy nutter or someone trying to make up ufo stories.

I'm sure we all see things we can't immediately explain whilst observing or imaging. I certainly have done. There's no shame in asking if someone else can identify them or suggest explanations. The "crazy nutter" thing to do is to immediately insist that it must be aliens or something supernatural etc. without first exhausting the rather more mundane possibilities :)

James

I'm sure we all see things we can't immediately explain whilst observing or imaging. I certainly have done. There's no shame in asking if someone else can identify them or suggest explanations. The "crazy nutter" thing to do is to immediately insist that it must be aliens or something supernatural etc. without first exhausting the rather more mundane possibilities :)

James

in my role as FBI paranormal investigator I have come across this before. unfortunately I can't say more than that. :lipsrsealed:

in my role as FBI paranormal investigator I have come across this before.

I'm fairly sure I don't believe in paranormal investigators. Are they a sort of combination of Rentaghost and Hercule Poirot?

James

The ATrain does'nt line up like that.

I reckon this is Breeze-M rocket body fragments, they were in Triangulum about 1.38am ish last night.

Yes that may have been a more accurate. Wow That is very interesting to rocket fragments.

Add the elements to Stellarium satellites......

http://celestrak.com...ts/2012-044.txt

You will see at least 4>5 fragments together.

What so you can add them(& maybe other thing?) to Stellarium to track? Could explain how I'd go about doing? please

Yes that may have been a more accurate. Wow That is very interesting to rocket fragments.

What so you can add them(& maybe other thing?) to Stellarium to track? Could explain how I'd go about doing? please

The link that wxsatuser very kindly posted is all you need!

Run Stellarium.

Open the configuration window (the spanner icon on the left of the main screen)

click plugins and select "satellites"

At the bottom of that window, tick the "load on startup" and click "configure"

On that page click the "sources" tab.

You should see a list of selectable celestrack url's just like the one in wxsatusers post.

Click the "+" button and paste in the url wxsaruser gave us and enter. That url should now be in the list. Tick the box for that url.

Now click the "settings" tab at the top of the configuration window and then click "update now"

Make sure you have the limiting magnitude set low enough.

Then set the time to 22:56 in stellarium and look at The Plough. You should see the convoy heading through the handle!

Thanks again, wxsatuser!

I saw something similar in Afghanistan. 6 or 7 lights in what appeared to be a straight line and stationary. They seemed to be there for ages as we gazed and wondered what on earth we were witnessing. Someone then had the bright idea of grabbing some binos and confirming they were in fact flares from a high altitude aircraft and NOT an invasion! However, no one has ever admitted that is what they thought................

Thanks for the instructions, Paul, but I'm having a couple of issues...

Click the "+" button and paste in the url wxsaruser gave us and enter. That url should now be in the list. Tick the box for that url.

Now click the "settings" tab at the top of the configuration window and then click "update now"

Make sure you have the limiting magnitude set low enough.

Um, I don't have anything to tick - just a list of the urls. I'm using Stellarium 0.12 on a Mac if that makes a difference?

post-28380-0-45276100-1378150756_thumb.p

I don't seem to be able to see the Breeze-M satellites in Search, or in the plough.

Also, how does one adjust the limiting magnitude in Stellarium?

(I thought this might be worth a look!)

Thank you, Paul M for the Stellarium description it's really great that. One though it seem to have satellites named 2013-064 & Breeze-M fragments seem to be else where in the sky?

But the 2013-064s seem to match the formation & timing last night:

5lights_zps717190bd.jpg

Are the 2013-064s the same as Breeze-M?

Archived