Hi from Leicestershire

JoeR

Hello Stargazers, I just wanted to say hi and to find out about events going on in Leicestershire.

I'm very new to stargazing and astronomy. I've just bought a Celestron Travel Scope 70 for me and my younger daughter so that we could see the moon, stars and planets.

I didn't want to splash out on a mega telescope as I have a habit of moving from one thing to the next but I am hoping this will be a hobby both me and my daughter can enjoy together.

So, if anyone has any news about events in Leicestershire please let me know.

Thanks everyone.

Joe.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Joe welcome to the lounge,

once you get to find your way around the night sky

you and your daughter will want to see more, everyone

does, we call it aperture fever.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Hi Joe,

I live in Ashby de la Zouch is that anywhere near you?

I've also recently started going to the *Rosliston Astronomical group meetings where there are some really passionate and knowledgeable people, especially Andy & Damian (who's brilliant at finding DSO's during observing sessions either after the meetings or during arranged observing sessions anytime when skies are clear)!

Damian recommended that anyone interested in observing should buy a copy of Sky & Telescopes Pocket Atlas (you can get them 2nd hand for less than £10 from Amazon.co.uk ), which he says are very useful in helping find your way around the sky (especially when out and about, or on holiday).

I've ordered one, plus a laminated Moon map (for less than £15 in total) as well! Can't wait until they arrive to try them out if the clouds stay away!

One piece of useful advice I was given was to be patient and remember to allow your eyes to properly adapt to the dark. This could take up to 20 minutes, but the extra fainter detail you'll be able to see on all objects (apart from the Moon that is!) will make the wait more than worthwhile!

Have fun!

*http://www.roslistonastronomy.org.uk/

Hi Joe,

I live in Ashby de la Zouch is that anywhere near you?

I've also recently started going to the *Rosliston Astronomical group meetings where there are some really passionate and knowledgeable people, especially Andy & Damian (who's brilliant at finding DSO's during observing sessions either after the meetings or during arranged observing sessions anytime when skies are clear)!

Damian recommended that anyone interested in observing should buy a copy of Sky & Telescopes Pocket Atlas (you can get them 2nd hand for less than £10 from Amazon.co.uk ), which he says are very useful in helping find your way around the sky (especially when out and about, or on holiday).

I've ordered one, plus a laminated Moon map (for less than £15 in total) as well! Can't wait until they arrive to try them out if the clouds stay away!

One piece of useful advice I was given was to be patient and remember to allow your eyes to properly adapt to the dark. This could take up to 20 minutes, but the extra fainter detail you'll be able to see on all objects (apart from the Moon that is!) will make the wait more than worthwhile!

Have fun!

*http://www.roslistonastronomy.org.uk/

Archived