Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bizarre-looking new eyepieces from Skywatcher

Andrew*

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad price at all. But I agree with you, they look remarkably like the LVWs / Baader Hyperions, in specifications at least. Maybe they will perform better than the Baader Hyperion at F/5?

EDIT: I hope FLO are going to send John a set to review :). As he has reviewed the Hyperions and LVWs side by side before ;).

Aren't these just rebadged Celestron Ultima LX?

The bodies certainly look very similar, but FLO say the SW SWAs are 8 Element and I think the Ultima LX's are all 6 element. I do have the Ulitma LX 32mm and this is actually gives excellent wide angle even at F5.

Sorry Keith, only the 22mm and 32mm Ulitma LX's are 6 element, the rest are 8 element!

Aren't these just rebadged Celestron Ultima LX?

Right you are - they look much more like the Celestrons and the specs are more or less identical except for 4.6mm more eye relief in the SWs.

At £99, they are better priced, but are they better than Hyperions - that is the critical question...

Andrew

I've always wonder why the Ultima LX wasn't more popular? Hyperion, ES82, ES68, Meade SWA all have their following, but it's very rare to hear anyone using Celestron Ultima LX.

The 32mm should be an interesting eyepiece. It sits between the 30 Aero ED and 32 Panaview in terms of price. I wonder how it will compare with the other two in terms of performance.

They are an unusual shape but a bit reminiscent of the Ultima LX's I agree. I'd love to try some out :smiley:

The 70-ish degree / 20mm eye relief market is pretty crowded now - in many ways I guess it's the optimum combination and accessible to those that wear glasses when observing too.

We added the new Skywatcher SWA 70-degree eyepieces to our website only this morning, I have just logged in to announce them in the Sponsor section :smiley:

I hope FLO are going to send John a set to review :).

I'd love to try some out :smiley:

Excellent, thank-you John :glasses2:

We are expecting our first delivery in a day or two. We would be pleased to send you a full set but I know how much time reviews consume so I don't want to be presumptuous. Perhaps you would prefer we send you what will ultimately become the most popular focal lengths together with the equivalent Baader Hyperion and Japanese-made Vixen LVW eyepieces. We'll be guided by you :icon_salut:

Steve

We added the new Skywatcher SWA 70-degree eyepieces to our website only this morning, I have just logged in to announce them in the Sponsor section :smiley:

Excellent, thank-you John :glasses2:

We are expecting our first delivery in a day or two. We would be pleased to send you a full set but I know how much time reviews consume so I don't want to be presumptuous. Perhaps you would prefer we send you what will ultimately become the most popular focal lengths together with the equivalent Baader Hyperion and Japanese-made Vixen LVW eyepieces. We'll be guided by you :icon_salut:

Steve

That sounds like an opportunity for a 3-way comparison not to be missed - thanks Steve I'd love to have a shot at it in due course :smiley:

I've dropped you a PM by the way :smiley:

Blimey! That is a sharp price, especially if they are re-skinned Ultima Lx.

20mm of Eye relief, potentially a well corrected 70deg FOV and a 28mm eye lens for under a tonne, make these sound like a poor mans Delos!

Russell

I've thought for a while that the Celestron Ultima LX range was greatly underrated. I had several and also a couple of the Axioms which were far more expensive, and I really preferred the Ultimas. The no-roll barrel was a great feature too. Wish I hadn't sold mine....the 32mm was a real peach (where have I said/heard THAT before??LOL).

If the SW's perform as well as the Ultima's they will be well worth the asking price.

Look forward to your review John!

cheers

Dave

Specification and focal lengths match the Astro-Tech AF70 eyepieces. :grin:

Same focal lengths, same number of elements, same field of view and same 1.25"/2" fittings. :eek:

As the AT Paradigms (=BST Skyguiders) come out of Barsta I am off for a quick search of their site. :rolleyes:

Barsta

Barsta make them from the picture part way down.

Since Sky's the Limit get their BST's from Barsta I wonder if these are sold under alternative names. :evil:

Interesting shapes, very streamlined and aerodynamic. Looks like they were designed in a wind tunnel like an F1 car to minimise disturbance when observing in windy conditions. Will the views be as good as the aero suggests though, this is the question :D

Celestron and Sky-Watcher are owned by Synta and I would not be surprised if the design of one brand influences the design of the sister brand. At least until 2012 the SW Plossl eyepieces used to look exactly like how the Omni's did a few years ago before they changed design to the modern Omni's

The Celestron Ultima LX's referred to above had a very unusual triangular profile when viewed from above. I believe this was to stop them rolling off tables etc. It will be interesting to see if these new SkyWatcher's use this feature.

The Celestron Ultima LX's referred to above had a very unusual triangular profile when viewed from above. I believe this was to stop them rolling off tables etc. It will be interesting to see if these new SkyWatcher's use this feature.

If you get a 32mm from FLO John, I'd be very interested in the report - I've yet to find a replacement for my 32 TV plossl, despite several attempts !

andrew

I never quite got that. I always stand my eyepieces on the barrel. It's not like people would change their habits and start lying the eyepieces down because they can. I feel that manufacturers should stick to round for the sole reason to keep the body diameter to a minimum.

By the looks of it, this eyepiece is triangular.

Looking forward to your report John, which I know will be thorough. I have an 8mm Delos I could lend you to compare to the 8mm SWA if you like?

I've thought for a while that the Celestron Ultima LX range was greatly underrated. I had several and also a couple of the Axioms which were far more expensive, and I really preferred the Ultimas. The no-roll barrel was a great feature too. Wish I hadn't sold mine....the 32mm was a real peach (where have I said/heard THAT before??LOL).

If the SW's perform as well as the Ultima's they will be well worth the asking price.

That's excellent news as they certainly do look like they could be very similar optically. I don't remember ever reading reports on the Ultimas. I always assumed they were not enough competition for the ubiquitous Hyperions to get any attention.

If these can deliver at f/5 they will be popular. I also wonder if the £99 tag is the RRP and may eventually settle into a lower "street price" when the other retailers join in.

Andrew

Archived