Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bizarre-looking new eyepieces from Skywatcher

Andrew*

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies for dumb question: What's the sticky-out thumbscrew type thing visible on four of these?

When you use them in 1.25" eyepiece holders you can use the thumbscrew to apply some additional security. They are quite heavy eyepieces I guess. If you use them in 2" mode you need to remove the thumbscrew. It's the same system that Tele Vue use in a number of their hybrid barrel designs.

The eyepieces have arrived :smiley:

Here are a couple of photos.

Wow, they look enormous! Certainly bigger than Hyperions anyway. Interesting barrels too - short, high gloss, no safety recess. And the body is not triangular. I think that's a good thing.

It will be interesting to see what the eye relief is in practice. The eye cup extends above the eye lens by a few mm...

Steve, what is the eye cup like - does it extend? Never mind - just read it: twist up eyecups

I totally love big eyepieces --- these are yummy!! :) I'm eying the 3.5 one - has anybody put them to the test?

FLO have kindly offered to send me some plus some Hyperions to compare them with :smiley:

I'll pass some photons through them at the earliest opportunity.

now the icing on the cake - does the central 1.25" bit unscrew making it into a true 2" ep with wider field stop?

I think thats very unlikely to be honest. Most eyepieces of this type have a optical lens set in the 1.25" section of the eyepiece so just don't work, or don't work well without it.

FLO have kindly offered to send me some plus some Hyperions to compare them with :smiley:

I'll pass some photons through them at the earliest opportunity.

I'm assuming they're very similar considering the specs - either way I long looked for a Hyperion 3.5mm -- and I think the Skywatcher will be just the one :)

A question to FLO -- Do you have enough of these to fulfill the needs of many of us here or it's still a first shipment?

It is a first shipment. Currently we have reasonable stock of all but the 17mm. Not sure when that one is due. Hopefully not too long.

....Interesting barrels too - short, high gloss, no safety recess.....

Actually, I think I can see a safety recess peeking through on the 1.25" barrel.

I wonder if the 2" "skirt" is threaded for filters ?. If it is you might be able to add a Hyperion Fine Tuning Ring so that you can use 2" filters directly on the eyepiece.

That weight may be a serious issue for many. It's an affordable eyepiece, probably in the realm of someone who is starting out and wanting to spend a reasonable amount upgrading their EPs. they might have an entry level scope on an entry level mount and these may just be a bit too heavy for something in that ball park. These were clearly the former Celestron eyepieces and it seems that Celestron like to do their own R&D. Looking at the Ultima LX, Axiom and then the Luminos range you think they'd take eyepiece weight more seriously, all their EP designs are "fatties".

Archived