Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bizarre-looking new eyepieces from Skywatcher

Andrew*

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that occurred to me - are they threaded to take filters?  I'm thinking that if they aren't it's a minus point

cheers

The 1.25" ones are threaded for 1.25" filters and the 2" ones (the 22mm and the 32mm) are threaded for 2" filters. 

Thanks John :smiley:

I'd managed to find a website that listed them but didn't mention the filter threads

The 1.25" ones are threaded for 1.25" filters and the 2" ones (the 22mm and the 32mm) are threaded for 2" filters. 

Had a quick bash with my 22mm last night and I thought it was superb. Much better than all my other non descript eyepieces put together. It was sharp almost to the very edges and the 70degree fov was huge. Andromeda and the plaedies were fantastic. I'm very impressed and as soon as funds allow will be getting the 8mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a quick bash with my 22mm last night and I thought it was superb. Much better than all my other non descript eyepieces put together. It was sharp almost to the very edges and the 70degree fov was huge. Andromeda and the plaedies were fantastic. I'm very impressed and as soon as funds allow will be getting the 8mm.

May I ask in what scope?

@ John. When can we hope to see the review?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Whilst searching for a bit more info on these I see that Skywatcher has previously released something similar. The same dual fit collars and 8 element construction but a more conservative body. I'm wondering if these are a reissue of these lenses. They are shown on pulsar-optical's site but are out of stock. These were reviewed by Sky at Night magazine in June 2007 and receives only a 70% rating.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I've got the 17mm version, for Christmas, bought from FLO (ps thanks for the chocolate, nice touch!).. first impressions other than the sheer size are good. I have a gripe about the lens cap as it just falls off, and im not a big fan of using it on the 1.25, so I have to change adaptors to the 2" when using it (no real issue I guess) I'd say I've been best pleased with it on the double cluster, M81 & M82 but I was more involved in gawping rather than looking for edge defects in the fov..

im happy to do a write up from a newbie perspective, but if anyone wants to give me some bullet point & headlines I'm more than happy to give a shot at a bit more of an depth review..

A quick update on these - First Light Optics will be sending me some of the Skywatcher 70 degree SWA's to try out next week. I've suggested the 5mm, 13mm and 32mm. I'll be happy to post a report once I've had a few chances to use them :smiley:

Thanks FLO :smiley:  

• 1 month later...

Er, yes you did Steve - unless there is another company out there called FLO and they are sending me eyepieces  :smiley:

James sent 3 focal lengths through a few weeks back - 5mm, 13mm and 32mm. I've been making notes on their performance although the mixed weather conditions have not helped speed things along.

I'll try and pull together a report of some sort as soon as can. I don't like to come to any conclusions until I've had a few sessions though.

Er, yes you did Steve - unless there is another company out there called FLO and they are sending me eyepieces  :smiley:

Excellent :grin: 

It was only that I didn't remember seeing any being dispatched. 

... the mixed weather conditions have not helped speed things along.

I'll try and pull together a report of some sort as soon as can. I don't like to come to any conclusions until I've had a few sessions though.

No hurry John, please keep them for as long as you need :smiley: 

Steve 

Good to hear John, I think I'm probably in the minority in that I don't like the aesthetics of thesebut if they have good contrast?, low aberations?, mostly sharp over 70 degrees at say f/5? and comfortable ER, they would be hard to pass by at that price :)

• 1 year later...

I never quite got that. I always stand my eyepieces on the barrel. It's not like people would change their habits and start lying the eyepieces down because they can. I feel that manufacturers should stick to round for the sole reason to keep the body diameter to a minimum.

By the looks of it, this eyepiece is triangular.

Looking forward to your report John, which I know will be thorough. I have an 8mm Delos I could lend you to compare to the 8mm SWA if you like?

Here's what I did to my 22mm Ultima LX....

post-14720-0-14982200-1440407427.jpg

Archived