SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

21mm Ethos...has landed

estwing

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many congatulations on your new 21mm Ethos, it is a big one but no worse than the 31mm or the two big Meades. Hope you get some clear sky which is about all we have at this time of the year, I want some rain.

Maybe you will let us know what you think of it?

Alan.

What size is your new dob gonna be?

..18" Alan

Many congatulations on your new 21mm Ethos, it is a big one but no worse than the 31mm or the two big Meades. Hope you get some clear sky which is about all we have at this time of the year, I want some rain.

Maybe you will let us know what you think of it?

Alan.

having seen one of those "big meads" the 21 is almost small fry!

Estwing,

I think the Meade 30mm UWA must be one of the heaviest eyepieces on the market, I posted a 5.5mm and a 30mm UWA to a site member when in England back in May and with the packing box and polystyrene bits, which lets face it don't weigh a ton was 3.1KG. I believe the smaller eyepiece was only about 550grams. It is those massive boxes Meade use, look nice but really cost to mail.

Alan

It is those massive boxes Meade use, look nice but really cost to mail.

Alan

You aren't kidding Alan. When the guy at telescope house brought one out from the back stores for me to have a look at I thought he was bringing a pair of shoes :D

Steve,

What always gets me is Meade never make any reference to counterweights for their full LX ranges, I can't see that it would do an 8 inch LX 90 any good at all having a lump like that on the back, they are back heavy to start with. Even mine displayed some message about weight being uneven some years back when I used it with a focuser and a SWA 40mm, which is not as heavy. I now have a balance system. Bear in mind mine is much bigger than the 8 inch.

Alan

Estwing,

I don't know what the F/L is but I am sure it will perform well with the Zeiss scope, optically I guess they are difficult to better.

I must try mine, it has been stuck in its hole in the case and only seen light once, that is a terrible thing to say but true. The odd thing is I can't stop reaching for my 20mm Nagler.

Alan

Estwing,

I don't know what the F/L is but I am sure it will perform well with the Zeiss scope, optically I guess they are difficult to better.

I must try mine, it has been stuck in its hole in the case and only seen light once, that is a terrible thing to say but true. The odd thing is I can't stop reaching for my 20mm Nagler.

Alan

I've got 3 fl Alan 814mm the zeiss, 1525mm the starfinder 12.5" and 1775 18" in my truss dob

The odd thing is I can't stop reaching for my 20mm Nagler.

Alan

Interesting Alan. I love my 20mm Nagler too. It just works, no fuss. Super sharp and so easy to live with. I'm not sure I could live with the giant Ethos.

Its the weight for me. I find this a factor with my 31mm T5 too. It's weight makes it a hassle to use in my 10". I was thinking of changing my 20 & 31 Naglers for the 21mm Ethos (can't afford both), but knowing how badly it would effect balance on my 10" I have been having second thoughts.

Your last post pretty much killed the idea stone dead.

this is why I love my 26mm Nagler. it's relatively light and provides an exit pupil between the two. personally I feel it's the ultimate but maybe my mind will change when I look through a 21mm E.

..which will be soon :wink:

this is why I love my 26mm Nagler. it's relatively light and provides an exit pupil between the two. personally I feel it's the ultimate but maybe my mind will change when I look through a 21mm E.

yes I was on the verge of buying that but when I saw the ES 20mm 100 deg at 2/3 the price I thought I had to try the latter. Can always sell it if I don't like it I suppose.

yes I was on the verge of buying that but when I saw the ES 20mm 100 deg at 2/3 the price I thought I had to try the latter. Can always sell it if I don't like it I suppose.

That was the decision I made. Despite being a huge TV fan I just could not justify the additional £300 or so that the Ethos 21mm would have cost me.

Having 3 other Ethos eyepieces I can say that the ES 20 / 100 does deliver a convincingly Ethos-like performance for me although my fastest scope is F/5.3 so not as great a challenge as some.

Archived