Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

21mm Ethos...has landed

estwing

That was the decision I made. Despite being a huge TV fan I just could not justify the additional £300 or so that the Ethos 21mm would have cost me.

Having 3 other Ethos eyepieces I can say that the ES 20 / 100 does deliver a convincingly Ethos-like performance for me although my fastest scope is F/5.3 so not as great a challenge as some.

i'm hoping for the same, mines only 4.8 so hopefully will be ok, not that I'd know any different as I've never looked through an ethos, (ignorance is bliss) but I'd imagine its better than anything I've looked through.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

faster the scope,the more demanding on the pocket!

Yes indeed. I always think it's a shame that the 10" Skywatcher dob is not just a little slower. It's within reach of many as a very capable starter scope but that fast focal ratio does put pressure on eyepieces and getting and keeping accurate collimation.

I hope it lives up to expectations. I have had mine for over a year now and the views through the C11 are almost photographic.Unbelievably I can (just) get the double cluster in. It is a hardworking eyepiece as it is the only one I tend to use at public events because there are no blackouts and it is not fussy about eye position so children and inexperienced observers can still get the WOW moment. It is very solid and cleans up easily after the fingers and eye makeup get on it. (not my eye make up) Globulars are 3d and resolve very deep.I hope you can tell i love it.

It looks hilarious with a 2x powermate on my WO66.

Yes indeed. I always think it's a shame that the 10" Skywatcher dob is not just a little slower. It's within reach of many as a very capable starter scope but that fast focal ratio does put pressure on eyepieces and getting and keeping accurate collimation.

Yep. I wonder why none of the bigger companies like sky-watcher haven't made a mass produced scope at f/6 or so with 10 inch aperture, the tube would still be short enough to use comfortably. Basically like the f ratio of the 8 inch sky-watcher, but with 10 inch aperture. that is ideally what I'd like at some stage. :)

I just paid $300 for an ES 20mm 100° and I'm thinking it will take over from my 30mm 82° as my main eyepiece,love it!

yep good deal I reckon, me too, still waiting for mine, hoping it will sneak through customs :grin:

I ended up paying $1000 for the 3 100° ep's and the rd Barlow and postage and then £185 in customs charges inc the parcelfarce clearence charge.still works out that I saved about £350 :)

You can't argue with that :smiley:

It would be nice if ES let UK dealers offer more competitive prices though. It seems a shame that we have to order from overseas and give the Revenue and Parcelforce a slice of the action too.

Damo,

I wonder what Gordon Ramsay would make out of them, he is usually pretty good with anything found in a kitchen.

Moonshane,

Yes, having almost the full set in that area, 21mm E 26mm N and 31mm N, the 26mm has had a lot more scope time than the other two put together. I think I was a bit daft getting all three but it seemed a good idear at the time. Now the prices have dropped a fair old chunk on all of them, I'm left red faced. The 26mm is a fine eyepiece and without doubt a keeper.

20mm Nagler, Old habits do die hard? I don't know if it's this or the fact that I stand the eyepiece selection for the night on a wide low wall near to where I set-up, I think I am worried the Ethos and some of the Delos eyepieces could get knocked off easily. The 20mm Nagler is so compact and super sharp, with this new glass from Televue I think it gets over-looked sometimes.

Alan

I think that the Meades were real quality for the time and I know they are sort after but I think the 21mm E will be a step up, don't you? After you told me the F/L of the Telementor, that's going to be a nice wide field low power for you.

Alan

I imagine with a focal length of 800mm ish you don't really need 2 inch eyepieces, but it would be nice if you could try it. I am sure when the Telementor was sold, and if I recall you told me it was some time ago, 100 degree eyepieces were the the thing of pipe dreams.

Alan

Archived