NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello

thing

Hello people, I'm Dave from Lincoln. Just bought my first scope after years of gazing at the sky through binos. Found this site through good old google and it seemed the best of what was on offer so here I am! I'm a complete newbie when it comes to looking through scopes (I've noticed you only have to use one eye) so excuse me if I fire off lots of inane questions. I decided to do an OU degree in astronomy to back up what I'm looking at through the scope so I've just started that as well. I joined the local Astronomical Society also which is quite good, they have a 12 inch reflector and everytime I've been it's been cloudy........My scope is a Celestron 8 inch reflector with a GoTo mount which I've had for a whole week now, although most of the time I don't bother using the go to, I just point it and look at stuff going 'Cor, look at that'. In fact we had a brilliantly clear night here last night and I got a good look at Mars, the Pleides (sp?) and the Orion Nebula. Most impressive although galaxies just show up as a misty patch, which I was told to expect anyway. I suppose I need to photograph galaxies to see them properly. Anyway, looks good here, looking forward to participating with a whole 7 days of knowledge!

Welcome Dave

Can you tell where i can get more info about OU Astro course in my area?

I don't know. where's your area! :icon_jokercolor:

Assuming you're in UK then check out the OU website. I'm doing an BSc Open which means I don't have to do the BSc Hons Physics but I can still do the astronomy modules. Here are a couple of links, first one is the breakdown of a Physics Hons http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01B27 and the second lets you have a look at the various courses you can do science wise. http://www3.open.ac.uk/coursereviews/subject.aspx?classification=Science. Just look for the ones that are connected to astronomy. I'm doing S194 at the moment and I'm starting MST121 in January. Obviously astronomy is pretty maths intensive so I'm doing some maths courses as well. The level three stuff on cosmology looks pretty interesting.

Archived