Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wide Veil, deeper.

ollypenrice

Another great image,I'm amazed at what astro imagers can do.I have a question....is it possible during processing to make the background jet back and leave the rest(say the Veil image)?These pictures are works of art to me.....maybe someday

You could make the background jet black (which it isn't), but when you have spent many nights collecting the faintest light from what seems at first like background you would hardly want to do so! The background sky between the two main arcs is darker than the sky around the outside of the arcs, notably on the right of the image where it is far from dark. This is because the shockwave which created the arcs has swept out the inner part of the sky, making it more transparent. The background of the swept part is blacker than the rest and the star count is higher because it is more transparent, revealing more distant stars. If you black clip the image you will destroy this key bit of information.

For me the whole point of imaging (as opposed to visual observing) is to find what cannot be seen by eye. If only it could!

Olly

Archived