Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New shutter system for my roll off roof

peter shah

I've been meaning to get around to sorting out the shutter on the roll off roof it has been a bit of a pain to open and close. What better use of these light summer nights than to refine the kit. This is what I've come up with

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh yes this has been well tested in all weather. it had 3ft of snow during the winter and gales with sideways rain, it stays very dry, the only problem i get is wasp nests, i only had two this year and as the wood has weathered it does rub a little, the obsy it self is ten years old, the roof rail system is about 5 years, the shutter uses the original door, just in this Heath Robinson way as Gina put it.

Nice Mechanism :)

I had wasps nest between the Roof and insulation of my obs a couple of years agoI I got rid of them with one of the spray wasp nest killers...

As a deterrent I did try the Rentokil flying insect "killers" bit like the old "Vapona" but in a small space that gets warm during the day they became overpowering and decided it probably wasn't doing me and possibly the kit any good...

Instead I removed the insulation from the slide off roof so it was just an open structure and so far I haven't had anymore problems... My obs is built of UPVc shiplap so there not too much wood around for them to use as building material...

Peter...

Thanks :grin: ....... here is another quick tour of the Observatory showing a little more of the scope and location. Don't look too close, I'm not a carpenter :p but I will be tidying a few things up. BTW that great big tree will be coming down....not only because it is directly South but because its too close to the house :wink: .

I had to watch that a couple of times Peter - Yes your obs and scope are very nice ............ But oh, the green fields and green trees and green hills .............. Did I say how green it all looks?!!

I had to watch that a couple of times Peter - Yes your obs and scope are very nice ............ But oh, the green fields and green trees and green hills .............. Did I say how green it all looks?!!

Its a beautiful location, but the green does come with a price.... weeds, brambles and stingers not to mention the rain....im slowly getting through clearing it all but it is a lot of work.

It's green because it rains a lot - like here in Devon!

Nope, the second video doesn't show how it works either. Do tell, Peter :)

James

The kit is all automated using CCD Autopilot which runs Maxim, the sky6, focusmax, and for the roof Lesve dome control (see link) http://www.dppobserv.../DomeDriver.php this is linked to a garage door opener via the Velleman board and the switch. The roof has six heavy duty "V" rollers designed for electric gates systems. The track is made out of angle iron, although the roof is very heavy its very easy to push with this system, the shutter is counter balanced with bearings in the pivot points which makes it very smooth. The pulley system is connected to the roof and as it rolls back it pulls on the leavers on the shutter....it works well and the garage door opener has no trouble opening it.... when I have the cloud sensor it should pause the run if there is any cloud then park the scope and close the roof, then when it clears carry on where it left off....CCD Autopilot is so good and as for the plate solving its just incredible. hope this explains a little better James

Archived