NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Atik 460EX Unboxing

Gina

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A ruby red gem of a camera! Big fat good luck with first light, and subsequent projects!

/Jesper

Thank you Jesper :) Yes, it's lovely :)

First Light but not on an astro target this is on a house on a far hill about a mile away. Comparison between 460EX and 314L+.

post-13131-0-14000200-1372268376_thumb.p post-13131-0-41626300-1372268579_thumb.p

That's one hell of a camera Gina. You know you've upset the Cloud Gods buying that little beauty.

I also can't wait for your assessment of the 460EX and I'd value your opinion on the merits of both the 314L & 460EX.

Steve

I've had the good fortune to image with two 460s belonging to guests and they pull in exquisite data, clean as a whistle. Such a neat design, too. The dessicant plug accessibility is a real bonus, also found on the latest 11000.

Olly

Blimey. That's not exactly small :)

James

I was a bit bigger than I was expecting though I guess it shouldn't have done as the dimensions are on the FLO web site :-
Weight : 400g

Dimensions : 60x121mm

It's a better shape than the 314L+ IMO - particularly for multi imaging rigs using lenses or slim scopes.

Got mine on the MN190 for the first time last night for a couple of test shots Gina. You will not be disappointed.

Thank you :) I'm dying to get it on the Eagle Nebula. Did manage to focus on Alpha Bootes last night during a rare gap in the clouds and got an FWHM of 1.7 unbinned :) Also, captured the moon later but no stars.

I've had the good fortune to image with two 460s belonging to guests and they pull in exquisite data, clean as a whistle. Such a neat design, too. The dessicant plug accessibility is a real bonus, also found on the latest 11000.

Olly

I'm very impressed so far - and it seems to give a cleaner image than the 314L+ but can't be sure until I get it on nebulae and galaxies etc. The fan is a bit louder than the 314L+ but that's nothing :D

That's one hell of a camera Gina. You know you've upset the Cloud Gods buying that little beauty.

I also can't wait for your assessment of the 460EX and I'd value your opinion on the merits of both the 314L & 460EX.

Steve

Yes Steve - seems really lovely :) And yes, lot's of cloud last night. I will be reporting my assessment of the 460 later - the 314L+ is fantastic for sensitivity and lack of noise, the software is excellent too. As I have posted frequently I have been completely blown away by it :)

Congratulations on the purchase Gina. I had a feeling you'd not resist for long! I am sure there are many people looking forward to your first light on the MN190 as they want to see how it goes on the longer focal length scopes.

I shall post a "First Light" report and image when I get to use it on a DSO but I did capture the moon last night as a consolation prize :D Not extremely clear asthere was still thin cloud over it but reasonably impressive all the same IMO. This is with 5nm Ha filter and just a few milliseconds exposure (didn't record the actual exposure time) the moon is too bright for LRGB.

post-13131-0-91120700-1372327365_thumb.p

Archived