Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do I need a nail gun?

Bizibilder

With my current observatory build on hold due to the weather this weekend it has occured to me that assembling around 250 linear meters of shiplap (not to mention quite a few square meters of 6mm ply lining etc) is going to use quite a few nails! So - is a nail gun a good investment and what are the pitfalls, if any?

I'm looking at this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00074EQZ4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1ZSAGQ14KPTJXDYHB188&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549767&pf_rd_i=468294 and intend to use 35mm galvanised nails: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TACWISE-180-35MM-18G-NAILS/dp/B000Y8INPW/ref=pd_sim_diy_3 to do the job.

Thank you.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have access to an air compressor? If so, then Aldi were selling air nail guns recently for about £30. There's some left in my local ALDis.

Do it...it'd make assembling he obsy a whole lot easier. Plus, if you really admit it...you want to own a nail gn!

I use nail guns at work. I bought Paslode and I'm guessing since I bought mine they're probably around £400. I know that you are not buying one with the intention or regular use but I would however be concerned that a £50-£60 gun would be up to much.........like everything, you get what you pay for. I could be wrong and this might be a steel, although I do wonder when cheap brands try to make there product look the same as the real deal.. good luck with whatever you decide. I'm not sure whether it's possibble to hire a paslode or not...might be a better option?

Thanks folks - I should have said "brads" rather than nails - the ones I listed are 18g. As I only intend to use it for "DIY" I don't need a professional gun, I'm quite happy to work slowly and carefully (compared to a profesional who has to work to a time limit) and treat the tool carefully.

I understand what you're saying Roger, it's not the speed of the gun that concerns me but whether or not it's up to it. Also 18g brads have a tiny head and i'd be concerned that the shiplap would pull straight through. Please don't think I'm trying to be a damp squid, I'm just pointing out that this product may not do what you require of it. As I said earlier...good luck with your build and I look forward to seeing some pics of your obsy :)

By my reckoning 250metres of shiplap would need 500 to 1000 nails, depending fixing spacings etc, so there's a good chance you'll club your thumb a few times and bloodstained shiplap isn't a good look IMHO. :eek: I can certainly say that using a nail gun for the shiplap will make the job a lot easier and much quicker.

I recently built a large timber frame extension to my house an had to use a nail gun for the 9mm ply sheathing (9000 nails approx) so I bought a s/hand professional quality Paslode IM350 gas nailer on Ebay for less than £200 inc delivery and 48mm galvanized ring shank nails which comes with the correct gas cannister for the Paslode (1100 nails and 1 gas for £18). When I had finished using the nail gun I sold on Ebay for £15 more than I paid for it. :grin:

I figured this was a better option than buying a cheaper DIYer nail gun and not knowing if it was up to the job.

Luke

Ok - that's fine Scott. I may look into hiring one and compare prices. The trouble is the "next size up" is considerably more expensive and therefore cannot be justified. I just don't fancy knocking in the best part of 1000-1500 nails with an 'ammer!!! (and my fingers in the way!).

Ok - that's fine Scott. I may look into hiring one and compare prices. The trouble is the "next size up" is considerably more expensive and therefore cannot be justified. I just don't fancy knocking in the best part of 1000-1500 nails with an 'ammer!!! (and my fingers in the way!).

haha, don't blame you there Roger. My gun was in for a service the other day so it was hammer and nail time...felt like an apprentice again :)

I bought a gun that handled 40mm brads (electric powered) to attach the shiplap... I then went round the observatory with a big bag of 40mm galvanized round nails with a small flat head as most of the boards came loose after a few months due to expansion etc. Since then the obsey has been fine

I've used one of those tacwise things they're pretty Rubbish, it struggled to get through 12mm mdf. We've got a paslode and a bostech at work and they can be a bit temperamental, a rented one should fine though.

Malcolm - I think you may have hit the nail on the head (ouch!!! :eek: - sorry couldn't resist). If these small nails/brads/tacks will simply come undone then they are not worth the trouble. I may be better off with 40mm round head nails and my trusty hammer.

Does anybody know where I could get galvanised "annular ring" nails? - I can find non-galvanised ones easily enough. Ta. These are supposed to "not come out" and appear ideal. Edit: Screwfix sell them!! http://www.screwfix.com/p/annular-ring-sheradised-2-65-x-50mm-1kg-pack/12730

I went through this a few years back when I had a load of fencing to do. Couldn't justify £400 plus for Pasolade so went Tacwise electric, the most powerful one I could find. I've got one one these http://www.screwfix....CFYXMtAodwwgAYA

I used it for the loglap on my obsy which seems to be ok 2 years on but the fence work I had to go back over with screws. The galvanised brads are too thin & easy to pull through & rusted anyway.

I think the Tacwise are really aimed at light use.. arts & crafts even. In hindsight I should have got a Pasolade as I've had a few jobs since then that I could have justified it on. But its a big jump in costs.

Nail guns are like telescopes. There's no "one size fits all" solution.

I've got numerous nail guns. From micro pinners to framing nailers. All but one are air driven and I have a decent little compressor. Now, compressors, therein lies more decisions to be made!!

My most recent purchase was an electric pinner for doing the edging bead round a laminate floor job. None of my others seemed "right" for the job :D

Perhaps for weatherboard I'd put 40mm nails in my framing nailer and back off the "punch" a bit.

This looks like a nice item if a purchase is imminent : http://www.amazon.co...#productDetails

Something that fires standard 35-40mm 16ga or 18ga brads will probably get the job done quite well but in my heart I'd feel it was a bit lightweight!

I too purchased a Takwise nailer, It had the advantage of holding the shiplap in place whilst installing it (4.8m lengths single handed). But even with tacking it at 16" centres some still pulled through after a few months. They also had a tendency to rust, hence the use of galvanized round nails. The taker however was ideal for installing the 4mm ply lining in the warm room.

I bought the biggest Takwise electric nail gun with the idea of using it for my obsy but I didn't in the end though it was useful for taking the shuttering for the concrete. I bought stainless steel nails to attach the shiplap - well worth the extra cost - didn't bend very many of them. Galvanised nails produce stain trails in woodwork where SS ones don't. Those brads are cery weak and don't hold very well - I would consider them as a temporary fixing method only.

Thanks for that advice Gina - I'll look up stainless nails and compare prices. The current obsy has stainless screws throughout and they are certainly well worth the extra few bob (I intend to remove and recycle almost all of them!). In the greater scheme of things the extra cost is worth it.

I have 3 Nail Guns, small is a headless pinner, then a medium type takes small brads up to 25mm, the a bigger type take T-Nails all came from E-bay there all over 15 years old and they all work very well, the T-nail takes up to 65mm nails they go in wood, concrete, steel, i have only every used it on wood mostly lead and brace gates they make for a really quick job and if a straight edge is uses a tidy looking job, well worth the money and they weren't expensive....

Thanks for that advice Gina - I'll look up stainless nails and compare prices. The current obsy has stainless screws throughout and they are certainly well worth the extra few bob (I intend to remove and recycle almost all of them!). In the greater scheme of things the extra cost is worth it.

If there Screwfix quality stainless screws be aware once there settled in (couple of days) the heads normally shear off if you try to take them out. a good plated screw won't rust but will come out even after its been in there years...

I don't think 1000 nails is too bad really. Depends whether you need to get them all done in one hit or not, I guess. A decent weight hammer may make a lot of difference.

James

I have 3 Nail Guns, small is a headless pinner, then a medium type takes small brads up to 25mm, the a bigger type take T-Nails all came from E-bay there all over 15 years old and they all work very well, the T-nail takes up to 65mm nails they go in wood, concrete, steel, i have only every used it on wood mostly lead and brace gates they make for a really quick job and if a straight edge is uses a tidy looking job, well worth the money and they weren't expensive....

Should have mentioned these run on compressed air, so a compressor would be very handy......

Archived