hi

woodstar

Hello all!

After years of thinking about it, I finally got my first scope (Skywatcher Explorer 200P on EQ5 mount) a few weeks ago and after some fabulous moon observing (that included dragging my wife outside in her dressing gown to see it) and realising what a total noob I am, yesterday bought and fitted the synscan 3 upgrade which I hope will help me observe planets and - if I can given the UK weather and light pollution - deep sky objects. The help from Jake in this post was massively helpful because as others have reported the single page instructions seem to assume the motors are already fitted which, of course, they weren't in my case.

I'm in St Neots (well, Eaton Socon) and hope to go to the May 13th meeting of the St Neots Astronomy Association.

Finally, I would highly recommend FLO as it seems that their standard delivery is actually FedEx next day which is impressive.

Cheers

Andrew

Hello Andrew and welcome to SGL!! You have a good scope and mount there and should get some decent views of the planets. The 200P is probably the nearest thing to an "all rounder" scope that there is so have fun learning your way around the skies with it. You should find being a member of a society (and SGL, of course!) will help you through the first few months of a pretty steep learning curve.

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your observations so far and let's hope the weather co-operates further in helping you view the many more great objects.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Well.....I tried my SynScan out last night (there was a period of clear around midnight) and after polar aligning and selecting Vega as the first star (I chose 2 star alignment) it wasn't on target.

First question is - should I unlock the clutches and manually move the scope correctly or use the directional controls on the handset? Anyway based on something I think I read here I manually moved the scope. I then selected Dubhe as second star and half way around the slew there was a strange grinding noise and the slewing stopped. I will be checking out what happened later in the week but any initial thoughts? I wonder if it could be that the bolt holding the RA motor wasn't tightened enough causing the cogs to get out of alignment? Hmm....I guess these things are sent to make us better people - what fun would it be if it were too easy?

Cheers

Andrew

Archived