Hello from West Oxfordshire!

lewis83

Just found an interest in astronomy a few months ago, after weeks of researching and debating with myself whether I should buy a scope or not... I finally decided to take the plunge and get a Skywatcher 200p Dobsonian. I must say i'm really happy with my purchase and i'm in the garden at every opportunity. After checking out some local sights (moon/Jupiter/Saturn) I decided to try my hand at a few DSO, started off with a few glob clusters M13, M3 & M92. Took me hours to find them initially but i'm really starting to get the hang of it now. I'm not too sure what else is within my scopes capability but ill be attempting as many objects as I can in the coming months. Well thanks for listening and i'm sure ill be picking some of your brains for advice in the near future :D

And hello from South Oxfordshire. I'm glad to hear that you're getting on well. Finding DSOs gets easier with practice and planetarium software will certainly help. I use Stellarium. Also have a look out for the book "Turn Left at Orion" it's extremely good.

Dave

Hello also from Oxfordshire!

The monthly astronomy mags like Sky at Night and Astronomy Now always contain a guide to an interesting region of the sky visible that month with map and directions. I find that's useful and gives one something to aim for.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting yourself a great start, nothing like getting stuck in with a fair bit of aperture!

Clear skies for your continued observing and enjoy the forum.

James

Hi Lewis and welcome to SGL, your scope should keep you happy for a long time to come, not sure what to look at ?, then treat yourself to a copy of " Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" quite a bit more extensive than TL@O, but also comes well recommended, along the same lines with photos, finder star charts etc. It will assist you in locating many of the popular targets of interest in each of the Constellations, which are within the range of most of to-days amateur telescopes, enjoy :)

John.

Thanks for all your welcoming replies and feedback. already downloaded stellarium on recommendation.. and having a mooch online for decent books. Just need the weather now! :) @Siriusmeg - ill check out the local group too. thank you.

Archived