NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi All

kev533

Hi all, from just outside Accrington near the moors. I'm new to this game and decided to combine my job/hobby as photographer with astronomy. I already had a Canon 5d and have now got a (birthday prezzy) of a Skywatcher 200p. I am hopeful for some advice on how to combine these, but also hope to acquire a webcam/videocam.

This is my latest effort.

Kev

post-29490-0-72361600-1366650744_thumb.j

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kev and welcome to the forum. For anyone interested in the fun (frustrations :grin:) of imaging, I would strongly suggest getting a hold of Steve Richards' book, "Making Every Photon Count" in order to obtain the necessary overview before you commit to any specific kit. Imaging solar system objects such as the moon and planets is probably best done with a webcam, whilst imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae will require an accurate equatorial mount for the required longer exposures. There are some silmlarities between imaging and terrestrial photography but there is quite a lot that is different hence my suggesting the book. It is modestly priced but very comprehensive and will advise you on what kit to get and why you need it. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

P.s Nice image of the moon with plenty of detail and contrast. :smiley:

Hi everyone and thanks very much for the greetings and kind words re my moon effort.

I have looked up the book 'Making every photon count' and its on order - thanks for the tip!

My 200p is on an EQ5. I bought some small motors and attached them, but to be honest I'm not really sure how they work yet.

I'm finding my way around the skies when I can with the aid of a planishpere and an ap on my android phone called 'The Night' by Lite.

As with most hobbies when I save up I'm not sure what to spend it on - video cam or a goto upgrade for the EQ5 already!

Hoping to get to the expo in Worcester next month for a bargain!

Hi Kev,

Welcome to SGL, great book advised above, making every photon count will save heartache and cash. Also have a looka at 'turn left at orion' and 'sky & telescope pocket star atlas' they will help you round the sky. Another good planetarium program is Stellarium, its free and can be found here :--- http://www.stellarium.org/

Welcome to SGL

If that's a single frame image then you might want to try taking, say, 100 in quick succession to stack. I use the raw frames to start with, preprocess them in PIPP and then use Registax v6 to stack the best frames and sharpen the resulting image. This can give you a big jump in quality over a single frame.

James

Archived