Hi from brightest London

Ventolin

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hi from London!

I live in one of the brightest parts of the UK so I'm looking forward to some challenging light time viewing!

I have rekindled my love for astronomy after trying to see Pan-Starrs. Unfortunately, due to weather and bright skies I haven't been able to, even with binoculars.

I tried in Exmoor too over easter, but couldn't see it due to cloudy nights.

So, I'm starting out by looking for a decent set of binoculars; can't really justify getting a telescope as I don't have anywhere to set it up to observe unless I take it to the park and then I would have to contend with the bright skies, so I'll be happy with binoculars for now. Also can't really afford a telescope at the moment, so it all works out!

I'd recommend Stellarium to anyone who hasn't got it yet, I have it on my PC and now on my android tablet and it really helps identifying stars and constellations.

Have found the forums to be very informative and have spent many hours reading posts and felt compelled to join!

Best regards to all,

Vent

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Vent welcome to the lounge,

Bin's (binoculars) are great way to see and to learn the night sky,

depending on your budget a pair of 10x50 or 15x 70 are good, price wise

quality always costs more, the bigger the bin's are you will need a tripod and mount

the weight will make viewing unsteady,unless you are big and strong, some good advice

and information on this link http://binocularsky.com/ hope this is helpful.

Good Luck and Clear sky's

Thanks for the quick welcomes! I must say the forums are very active and friendly!

James, Easter Sunday night was fairly clear, though there was a band of cloud low down right where Pan-starrs would have been, which thwarted efforts to see it. I was near the coast on Porlock Hill, so had a good viewpoint, but the band of cloud was just in the wrong place at the time. I did get to see other stars though, Orion's nebula and Pleiades were great, Jupiter - might have seen some moons, but it could have been my imagination, was using 8x30's at the time. It got very windy and cold so didn't stay out too long and had to go home Monday, though I suspect that would have been a good time to see it too.

Ron - thanks for the link, I have already discovered that gem and have already opened a thread in the binocular forum for advice on 10x50's. There's so much useful information, it's overwhelming! Very exciting though!

Dave, thanks a lot for that, makes me feel better knowing it's a difficult target, let's hope the next comet will be better! My only hope now is an astronomical society meet and prayers for clear skies! I must say some of the photos of the comet that have been posted have been really stunning!

Michael, thanks for the welcome, am really excited to get star gazing, hopefully will get some clear nights soon and will get some decent bins in time.

All the best to all,

Vent

Hi and welcome, Vent.

I was up on the hills the other night after a good nights viewing the night before, sadly it looked even dimmer then the night before but C/2011 L4 Panstarrs is still visible only just, don’t look for a bright star but a very dim what I would say looks like a ” trail of steam” :)

Found it with my 10x50 binoculars.

Jim

Welcome Ventolin.

I too struggled, and failed to see the comet from London. I genuinely don't think it is possible from where I am. I managed to see it very clearly in binos from a dark site at the weekend though, so the skies make all the difference, particularly now it is fading fast.

Stu

Hi Vent and welcome from another London sufferer.

I didn't see Panstarrs either, due to houses and the rubbish light pollution.

The rubbish seeing has turned me to the dark-side of astro-imaging, but that has its own issues!

Hi Vent and welcome to the forum. Shame about not being able to see Pan-STARRS but hopefully the weather will be kinder to you later in the year when a even brighter comet called ISON will make an appearance in the early part of December - you might even have a scope by then! :grin:

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

HI Vent and welcome to SGL, It might be worth a visit to Regents Park in the near future where the Baker Street Irregulars meet, I am sure with the equipment they have available C/2011 L4 Panstarrs will be on their observing list :)

John.

Archived