Hello from an eager newbie!

Sophie

Hi everyone! My boyfriend bought me a Sky-Watcher BK 1309 EQ2 for my birthday. It is my first telescope and I have no experience of using them! I can't wait to get started (still in the setting up process!) Any useful hints and tips would be great fully received! Thanks :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello.

As you can see already, the people on here are very helpful and eager to share their experience. Any questions have a goosey gander on the forums first as you may find something relevent or irrelevent yet still interesting, but if you can't find it start a new thread and watch the replies flood in.

Welcome.

Hi Sophie and welcome to the forum. Stellarium is free and a good suggestion to help you learn the sky and know where some good objects are. Alan's suggestion of Turn Left at Orion is a great guide as it will provide you with some detailed instructions and maps on about 100 objects that you can find with your new scope throughout the year. You can take a closer by scrolling through some its pages here If you want a preview of its layout. You have come to the right place for any help so don't forget to ask any questions that you need.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

james

Thanks for all the advice! I tried to have a go last night but it was too cloudy. Hoping for some clear skies soon! I will check out the book, thank you. I have found someone local who will come and make sure I have set up the telescope correctly and give me a few pointers for £15 so I think I'll get him round? I guess all advice is good advice! I'm off to Cornwall next weekend and I'm hoping to take the 'scope so I need to make sure I know what I'm doing

Archived