Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ok forgetting about prices..whats the best out of these 2?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

personally I'd say the dob. it has a more sturdy mount and is f6 so will not be as fussy with eyepieces. all newtonians are as easy as any other newtonian to collimate so that's not really an issue. if you own a newt you have to collimate it (takes a few minutes at most after the 'bedding in period').

the EQ5 should be OK for visual but with that scope it would not be an imaging rig. I personally don't like EQ mounts for visual but others do.

Gotta be the dob. Having owned the 200 on an EQ5 for a while and upgraded the focuser, eyepieces and finders (RACI and Telrad), the main issue is balance and torque, particularly if you have fitted after-market motors. Needless to say, NEQ6 was the way forward...

I'd go for the EQ mount. As a planetary observer, 'nudging' a Dob takes away the last bit of detail - fine planetary detail is fleeting at best so you have to be relaxed and steady to take advantage.

http://www.firstligh...-dobsonian.html

or

http://www.firstligh...r-200p-eq5.html

price not really important but ease of use..collumatiing etc is..

jeez i make it hard for myself dont i?

It entirely depends on what you want to do with it. For purely visual use, the Skyliner Dob would generally be considered the best choice. The Dob mount means it is very quick to set up, stable and simple to use. The eyepiece moves in an arc so is always at a convenient angle for viewing. At f/6, the tube is easier on eyepieces and more forgiving of collimation errors.

If you are planning on imaging, you will need an EQ mount but the Explorer 200P is really too big for the EQ5 with imaging in mind. You would do better with a 130PDS on that mount as it has a shorter focal length so would allow longer exposures before trailing errors started to show.

It entirely depends on what you want to do with it. For purely visual use, the Skyliner Dob would generally be considered the best choice. The Dob mount means it is very quick to set up, stable and simple to use. The eyepiece moves in an arc so is always at a convenient angle for viewing. At f/6, the tube is easier on eyepieces and more forgiving of collimation errors.

If you are planning on imaging, you will need an EQ mount but the Explorer 200P is really too big for the EQ5 with imaging in mind. You would do better with a 130PDS on that mount as it has a shorter focal length so would allow longer exposures before trailing errors started to show.

I'll have to agree with you on this Rik, the 130PDS would be alot more suitable if budget AP is what you want,but I also wanted apperture so if the AP with the 200p gives me too much grief then at least i'll have a nice visual scope, BUT if I do get any decent images out of it i'll be reporting on here straight away :grin: I know it can be done as Marks (SGL member Quatermass) fantastic images with the same kit rival many taken with the NEQ6/ED80, its just a case of 'will I have the patience'? :rolleyes:

Steve

I'd go for the EQ mount. As a planetary observer, 'nudging' a Dob takes away the last bit of detail - fine planetary detail is fleeting at best so you have to be relaxed and steady to take advantage.

I too feel that some form of tracking when focused specifically on planetary observing, is desirable. Retaining the subject in the centre of the eyepiece is relaxing, enabling a build up of improved concentration, when teasing out finer details. At high magnification, planets seem to race across the eyepiece, drift and nudging becomes more like chasing, which may become a fairly continual (all be it slight) distraction. For general planetary observing though and for everything else, I would endorse the dobsonian.

IMHO, ´nudging´ dobsonians on Alt-Az mounts is just so ´end of the pier´ . Sorry guys.

Thats exactly what you posted in a a similar thread on this subject recently. Top marks for consistency !

So what is your preferred scope / mount setup ?

I have experience with both eq and dob mounts. I used to have a skywatcher

evostar 150mm fl1200 f/8 refractor on an eq5 mount. I now have a 200mm reflector dob.

For me the dob is a clear winner(i have no interest in AP). Each to their own.

If i was to upgrade at some point i would purchase another dob.

Another vote for the 200P dob, though perhaps since I own one I'm a little biased :)

Nudging is so simple it takes longer to explain how to do it, than actually doing it. After a few years of dob ownership I've now also got a refractor with an eq mount. I found it such a faff that I've put the eq mount away and bought an AZ-4. The simple joy of alt/az!

Luckily there is room enough in this hobby for everyone, no matter what telescope or mount preference :)

The dob brigade are gonna blast me but while I agree that the dob is easier to set-up and will cost you less in EP's due to it being slightly slower (a fairly comprehensive counter-argument on reflection) you cant beat the sophistication of an EQ mount. I had the same decision myself, between the 250 dob and EQ and I'm a happy man. I'm a visual observer so the mount being loaded doesn't bother me. I use the EQ5 equivalent and with some attention to balancing it hasn't been an issue yet. Where I'll admit you can't just plonk your base down and go, with some practice and experience you can get up and running in decent time. What the EQ mount gives you is ultimate control, something I thought I'd end up with eventually anyway.

I will say the 200 is big, bigger than you're prepared for if you've not seen it yet. If there's wind out, this is going to catch it like a sail. Something the dobs are much more adept at countering due to the base's solid design and low centre of gravity. It gets a bit wobbley for me sometimes :smiley:

Archived