SW19 Colliers Wood says hello!

PhilipRichardson

Hello! Pip here. From my Hazy, light polluted, helicopter strewn part of south west London I am making a peculiar return to astronomy. But I firmly believe you can make the best of any astronomical location and anyway, I have a car and shall be portable.

Patrick Moore and Reg Turnill were on my tv when I grew up and the triggered my love for astronomy and it has never gone away. i joined the Mid Sussex Astronomical Society when I was a teen and by 19 was the secretary for several years. We had a home built 8inch Newtonian on a massive fork EQ mount in an observatory on a farm. Great fun but hard to raise funds and I was never able to get a drive to run the fork so we cold take photographs.

London got a hold of me and I have been there now for over 25 years and haven't had the time and the money to get back to astronomy until now. So here I am, about to make my first proper purchase of a decent OTA and mount to work visual and photographic and be portable.

Lots of pleasure and late nights to come, I hope!

Desperate to post some pics and go to some starcamps.

Pip

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the SGL. As you are London based, perhaps you would like to come along to London's largest (and free) astronomy club, the Baker Street Irregular Astronomers? Next meeting (at the Hub in Regents Park) will be either Tuesday 12th, Wednesday 13th or Thursday 14th, depending on which day looks to offer the best chance of clear skies.

More details if you follow the link... http://www.bakerstreetastro.org.uk/

Clear skies,

Hi and welcome to the SGL. As you are London based, perhaps you would like to come along to London's largest (and free) astronomy club, the Baker Street Irregular Astronomers? Next meeting (at the Hub in Regents Park) will be either Tuesday 12th, Wednesday 13th or Thursday 14th, depending on which day looks to offer the best chance of clear skies.

More details if you follow the link... http://www.bakerstreetastro.org.uk/

Clear skies,

Hello Matthew and thank you for that!

I am very close on many occasions as I work in Soho and play cricket at The Hub - well, when the weather changes anyway! I shall be coming along soon. I shall also be popping into the Widescreen centre which i believe is affiliated too. They may be helping me out with my forthcoming purchases - lucky them!!

See you at The Hub! :grin:

Pip

Archived